Home > Trip Reports > May 20, Mt. Stuart - Up Ice Cliff, down Sherpa Gl.

May 20, Mt. Stuart - Up Ice Cliff, down Sherpa Gl.

5/20/13
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Tom_Sjolseth on 5/20/13 2:00pm
Aaron S and I linked up for a great trip up Mt. Stuart today.

We left the parking lot at a touch before 4AM and made decent time on dry trail up to the first switchback heading up to Stuart Lake.  From there, we dropped to the creek and crossed and then followed the cairned boulderfield trail up into the basin below the N Face of Stuart.

Climbing conditions on the Ice Cliff were just about perfect.  Firm snow on the ascent, and only a slight groan from the Ice Cliff the entire time.  We topped out in the sun then proceeded to lounge around on the false summit for a good while before making our way up the final 800' or so to the true summit.

The ski down the Sherpa Glacier was on good corn.

We botched the deproach a bit and wound up following the creek for a little ways.  It would have been better to find our up route, but we didn't lose that much time.

Back to the parking lot at 6:15.  An excellent day out!

Nice work! Great day to be in the mountains. Love that descent.

great looking day!

Was aaron blarin the beegees?

Oh, so that's how.

Aaron was not rocking the Beegees (unfortunately), but he was rocking some pretty sweet shades..

I don't suppose you took any pictures of the north ridge. Is it still covered in snow or would it be possible climb right now (well really in a month)?

This is the only photo I got of the N Ridge, which appeared to be pretty dry.  All the lower pitches were completely dry.

Reply to this TR

may-20-mt-stuart-up-ice-cliff-down-sherpa-gl
Tom_Sjolseth
2013-05-20 21:00:28