Home > Trip Reports > 5/172013, Muir Snowfield + Lost in fog

5/172013, Muir Snowfield + Lost in fog

5/17/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by BrianT on 5/18/13 11:33pm
Jake, Pav, and myself headed from Issaquah/Bellevue area to Paradise. We were in pretty thick clouds when we left paradise, but the trail was very established. Every so often it would clear up and we could see out of the soup.  By 9300ft, we decided to call it with horrible views and wanting to get back to our ladies at a decent hour.

The ski down the top 2k ft was really fun when you didn't hit an unexpected roller. The visibility was so bad you couldn't see if you were moving forward/backwards/left/right there was no depth perception.

On the way down past pan point we Jake and I headed a bit skiers right.  I vaguely remembered the ski from the summer. After we went down, we hit a nice cliff band by the Nisqually valley. After pulling out compasses and GPS we found we out we were about a mile west of paradise and a few hundred feet below.

We ended up booting it back looking for paradise and our first couple we ran into knowing our luck didn't speak much english so when we asked where Paradise was they gave a shrug and kept walking and ended up at the overnight lot about 20 minutes later. 

Good times, was fun and everyone made it out safe.
It was nice meeting and touring with you, guys.
Yeah, vis was on and off but at those times when it opened up and you could see the terrain, skiing was quite fun - .5-1" of sugar on top of 2' of soft mush. Actually much better than what I'd expected, given the warm weather.

Reply to this TR

5-172013-muir-snowfield-lost-in-fog
BrianT
2013-05-19 06:33:20