Home > Trip Reports > May 6-11, 2013, Wapta Traverse (Canadian Rockies)

May 6-11, 2013, Wapta Traverse (Canadian Rockies)

5/6/13
Posted by tyreid on 5/14/13 2:18pm
We had a great spring trip on the Wapta Icefields €“ balmy, sunny, minimal wind, mostly empty huts, and numerous summits over the course of six days. With the strong winter-to-spring transition, the approach and exit proved to be the crux. The lakes were crossable but melting out fast and low elevation snow was mostly isothermic (sink to the ground).

Once we were on the glaciers it was a supportable melt-freeze snowpack and the skiing was great. With deteriorating conditions down low we opted out of the Sherbrooke Lake exit and went out via Bow Lake which involved many creek crossings and some downstream wading through the canyon, but in the end was the thing to do.

Peaks: Mt. Rhondda North, Mt. Olive, unnamed peak west of Balfour Hut, high point on Diableret Glacier, Mt. Gordon west and east summits.

Super fun trip. Tons of pictures and full write up on
This place looks so amazing! Way to get after it and with such beautiful weather. This is on my bucket list. Thanks for posting this TR.

Bend Zee Knees!

Thanks for report.  Looks like a great trip.

Nice one tyler!

That's been on my list for muchos anos.

Looks like you hit the weather just right.  I enjoyed the full write up, you've become quite the onsite repair man :)

Reply to this TR

may-6-11-2013-wapta-traverse-canadian-rockies
tyreid
2013-05-14 21:18:32