Home > Trip Reports > May 12, 2013, Mt. Scott, SE Face

May 12, 2013, Mt. Scott, SE Face

5/12/13
Posted by DG on 5/13/13 3:17am
Driving back from California, I thought I would try to sneak one more mountain in on the way home.  Not wanting an all-day endeavor argued against McLoughlin, but the timing seemed about right to ski the east side of Mt. Scott.  By the time I got to the turn-off of Hwy 97 onto Boundary Rd., it was dark, but I decided to drive up the forest service road anyways from memory, which seemed a bit spooky at night.  I made it up to around 5,700 ft before hitting a decent snow drift blocking the road, and decided to car camp there.  There wasn't a lot of snow above that, so it may be completely open to the highest point of the road in a few days.

I left the car at 730 am, and made a quick skin, and then boot up along the SE ridge, achieving the south summit at 10 o'clock.  I took in the great views of Crater Lake and the area for a bit, and then skied down the SE Face at 1030 on soft corn snow.  There were a few mosquitoes out and about, so it seems that the Southern OR hatch may be early this year - beware!  As often seems the case, I didn't see another person out there all day, funny given how much of a growth industry backcountry skiing supposedly is (no complaint, just an observation!)
Nice!  Love that side of the mountain!

Did the dog recover?

author=askalet link=topic=28529.msg120138#msg120138 date=1368766876]
Did the dog recover?

For sure, he was just hamming it up for the camera.  He had a great time up there and was chasing me on my skis the whole way out.

Thanks for your tr!  Scott is on my list---

Can you give directions coming from Bend, Oregon?  --fs roads etc. turns offs .... yada yada...

Think there would be any snow left by Memorial weekend?

author=rlsg link=topic=28529.msg120203#msg120203 date=1369007467]
Can you give directions coming from Bend, Oregon?  --fs roads etc. turns offs .... yada yada...

Think there would be any snow left by Memorial weekend?

Sure thing.  If you are coming from Bend, drive south on 97 continuing past the Diamond Lake turnoff and Chemult.  You'll look for a turnoff on the right onto West Boundary road.  This is directly across from another road on the left going towards Silver Lake and Klamath Marsh.  Turn onto West Boundary Rd and you'll go a couple miles till you hit a junction w/ Sun Mountain Road.  Take a left onto this and then an immediate right onto the first forest service road.  It's not signed very well but I think may be called FS Road 2308 (but also may be 2310).  Follow this all the way up, as high as you can - there are a couple of possibly confusing junctions, but the one you want keeps gaining elevation, first slanting SW, then heading NW back towards the mountain.  Eventually, the road curves North at around 6,000 ft elevation and crosses the drainage before dropping back down the other side.  You can either leave the road on skis at just past the junction with FS Road 190 if you're heading for the SE ridge (this is what I did) or along Scott Creek, if you're aiming to ascend the old avy path.

I think there should be plenty of snow on Memorial Day weekend for skiing, although you'll probably be walking the first part through the trees.  I'm just not sure if the mosquitoes will be getting bad yet on the first part of the approach.  They're pretty thick once they get going, but hopefully they'll hold off till June!

Reply to this TR

may-12-2013-mt-scott-se-face
DG
2013-05-13 10:17:06