Home > Trip Reports > Chair Peak North, May 23, 2005

Chair Peak North, May 23, 2005

5/15/05
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Aaron_Riggs on 5/24/05 5:28am
Photos here:
http://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=23161108/t_=25439066
If anyone can give me a lead on a photo server site that does not require a password to view, I'd appreciate it.

Adam and I decided to go try to find some snow to ski on last night. We left the Alpental parking lot at 4:00 and hiked in off and on rain up the snow lake trail to the top of the Chair Peak ridge (directly above Source Lake). We made it to the top of the ridge in our shoes, where it was snowing lightly. Looking back at Pineapple Pass made me think hard about my schedule on Thursday. We put our boots on, crossed onto the north snow field, and booted up to the rock at 5,500 feet. By my best estimate, I'd say there was 6-8 inches of new snow. It was well consolidated, and quite dry for May 23. Intending to ski all the way down to Snow Lake, we enjoyed 1,000 feet or so of fine turns. The sun even poppped out for this event. But alas, we realized there wasn't enough snow to ski out, so we did some pretty sketchy down climbing for the last 600 or so on some thin snow and very slippery rocks. Falling here was a big time no-no. This took quite a while, and by the time we got down to the lake it was 8pm. Skiing across the lake would have been ideal, but not wanting to drown we opted for hiking around, enjoying the view of our strange line. By 9:30 we were back on the Snow Lake ridge/divide. We put our shoes back on and wandered out in the starry darkness, getting back to the car at 10:30.
I keep getting errors from snapfish trying to view your photos -- and I even signed up for a snapfish account...

me too, and I've had a Snapfish account for some time. "There's been a system error . . . "

MSN Groups seems to work ok for me as far as picture sites go...
No password or sign-up to get in to view, hotlinking allowed and you can set up albums so that your partner(s) can join to add additional pics from a trip.  Seems like a few pics are free and then there's a nominal charge.

Was there snow at lake level?  I was thinking of doing some camping this weekend, and was curious how it looked at the lake.  Also, any chance we can get through to those pictures?  Thanks!

There is still quite a bit of snow at lake level, but a lot of dry patches as well. We ran into a couple who were camping, and they were walking around the lake fishing in flip-flops. Try tomorrow, I'll have those photos on a different site (maybe later tonight.)

chair-peak-north-may-23-2005
Aaron_Riggs
2005-05-24 12:28:21