Home > Trip Reports > May 11, 2013, Alpental

May 11, 2013, Alpental

5/11/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by knitvt on 5/11/13 7:53am
Today was my first day out in a month after having been sidelined by mono, so even if the conditions hadn't been good, it still would have been an excellent day.  But the conditions were (unsurprisingly) great!  Continuing as everyone's been reporting over the last few days - warm, but not too warm, a mix of nice corn and slightly deeper slush, but nothing that wasn't fun to ski.  The breeze was strong at the base, but diminished on the ascent, at least to the bottom of chair 2.  Lots of people and dogs and at least one mountaineering class making good use of the day before the rain returns.
Ditto!
Using Silas's recommendation instead of driving to Paradise.
Dave and I did two laps on lower half and thought the skiing was excellent for time and place . One note- I skied very close to some of the big trees and picked up some pollen on our second run. Not enough to be notable while skiing but would have caused trouble on the next up. Went to beer at noon.

I wondered where you were today, Robie.  I looked all over Paradise for you guys...

Dusk patrol provided some of the best corn I've skied this month!  The slopes are smoother every day, but the heat of the past week has opened surprising cracks here and there.  https://vimeo.com/66031590

Was a blast last night with everyone and finally got to put some faces to folks on TAY.

author=silaswild link=topic=28507.msg119904#msg119904 date=1368336928]
Dusk patrol provided some of the best corn I've skied this month!  The slopes are smoother every day, but the heat of the past week has opened surprising cracks here and there.

Seconded - expect moats below anything steep that's not 'piste'. Can still ski within 6-10' of the patio, creek coverage down low is more than sufficient. Lower half skied better post-sundown than pre-sundown. 

Great to hang out with the gaggle yesterday!

Edit: Kinda cool: The starting lines from Vertfest have returned to the surface.

author=Charlie Hagedorn link=topic=28507.msg119912#msg119912 date=1368379015]expect moats below anything steep that's not 'piste'.

For sure on that one. Cracks are in abundance on anything steep and off the beaten path. Our run out Hummocks required two raps off big trees using a short section of rope. Good times for sure!

Reply to this TR

may-11-2013-alpental
knitvt
2013-05-11 14:53:46