Home > Trip Reports > May 9, 2013, Snoq. Mtn, Slot

May 9, 2013, Snoq. Mtn, Slot

5/9/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by JCR on 5/9/13 10:22am
New skis mounted yesterday, couldn't sleep so headed up for an early run. Funny, I have skied virtually everywhere over the last 12 years at Snoqualmie Pass but have never skied Snoqualmie Mtn or the Slot. Had to get rid of the slacker title and what better place to do a break in run?

Across the bridge at 6:50 and through the phantom bypass mess. Just boot pack it and get it done. Great skin track put in by the party on 5/8 that set up nicely for ski-crampons higher. Minimal surface crust up high on N/NW aspects with only a few traversing cut outs. Sun began to peak around at 0900 and by 09:30 full sun at the entrance to the Slot. Hiked up to the summit, enjoyed the view and NE breeze then skied down to the slot at 10:15.

The entrance is still in great shape The NE breeze kept things cool but no crust. Some of the wet surface slides still have some shape to them but are flattening out. Nice corn to easily dodge the random mountain shrapnel embedded in the snow. Great run to try out some sliding, jumping and speed. The new skis showed off for me and I am very happy.

Climbed back around and skied toward the Phantom due to....umm, yeah. GREAT ripping turns with some slop down to the woods. So, anyway, don't do it. Coverage is going fast and creeks are opening up. Go around like the guys did yesterday and hit the Snow lake Divide.

Great solo day on the mountain and got to get a full range of spring conditions for the new planks. An earlier start (30 min maybe) with this heat would have made things absolutely perfect.
Do you have any pics of the current conditions?

Reply to this TR

may-9-2013-snoq-mtn-slot
JCR
2013-05-09 17:22:26