Home > Trip Reports > May 8, 2013, Slot Couloir

May 8, 2013, Slot Couloir

5/8/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by jdrouches on 5/8/13 9:39am
Busted out the Slot with my ski buddies Dag and Corvs.  Had to start the ski at the snow lake trailhead, creek was flowing at the usual start.  Skinned up to the water fall, then bootpacked up past the 2 cliffy sections, then skinned all the way to the entrance of the Slot. Arriving at 11, wouldn't want to be climbing the top section much later. Skinning was pretty good on 1-3 inches of slop, but consolidated underneath, blew out on a few traverses, even with ski crampons.  Entrance to the slot is in great shape, seems steeper with corn snow. Some cracks are opening up skiers left.  Skied 1-2 inches of small sun cupped corn which was rippable all the way to the fanned out bottom where it got a bit sloppy.  Lots of loose rocks on the surface.  Exited via Snow Lake Divide, massive slides in Chair Peak basin with lots of debris.  Great tour, I'd do it tomorrow if I could, you should.  Sorry no pictures, my phone took a S*%T and ate my photos.
Thanks for the conditions update!

How far could you poke your pole into the snow at the top? was there any sort of crust on south slopes?

Way to get after it John.  Wish I'd been there with you guys.

author=Eckels link=topic=28494.msg119842#msg119842 date=1368082658]
Thanks for the conditions update!

How far could you poke your pole into the snow at the top? was there any sort of crust on south slopes?

Not sure about the pole pen, but side slipping down, only a few inches went.  No crust on the south slopes, just some frozen areas in the shade.

Reply to this TR

may-8-2013-slot-couloir
jdrouches
2013-05-08 16:39:22