Home > Trip Reports > May 7, Esmeralda Basin

May 7, Esmeralda Basin

5/7/13
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Big W on 5/8/13 2:29am
The recent warm weather has really started to melt things off fast. It was very hot yesterday, should of started out a hour sooner. Parked a little past the Iron peak trailhead. Some bare patches here and there on the road but skinned most of the way. Once at the trailhead the first 200 yards of trail were already bare. At the Ingalls trail junction I was able to start skinning again.

Lots of water coming down into the basin and snow is melting fast. Followed the snowmobile trail up towards Fortune peak. By the time I got out of the thicker timber it was hot and really soft. Went a little to far east and ended up on the east rim of Fortune bowl. Good plan actually as the west facing slope dropping in was firmed up a bit more than anything else. Still about 6" of slushy corn though. Skinned up again and started up towards Fortune peak for another run but it was baking in the hot sun. Half way up I called it as I was dying and pouring sweat. Thought I could ski the gully most of the way down but it had already melted out too much so I cut back into the timber.

By the time I got back to the car it had melted out enough to punch another 200 yards or so down the road. Get it why you can cause its going fast! I am sure for most of you planning to go this weekend the road will be melted out to the trailhead. Heading out there again tomorrow!

Some pictures: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.454828727932634.1073741829.100002165333526&type=1

Reply to this TR

may-7-esmeralda-basin
Big W
2013-05-08 09:29:18