Home > Trip Reports > May 2, 2013, Eldorado

May 2, 2013, Eldorado

5/2/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Steph B on 5/6/13 4:48am
First time poster, multiple year lurker... so thought I would give back by finally posting something.  My friend Aneka & I have been talking about skiing Eldorado together for a few months now... and both of us have dreamed about it for a few years, but the stars never quite aligned; until Thursday.  We both work at the Environmental Learning Center off Diablo Lake, so we hit the road around 4ish am with the intention to be at the trail head and crossing logs around 5:30ish.  There was snow on the road about a 1/4 mile from the parking lot, so we parked with the other 4 vehicles and set out on the road.  Due to the amount of cars out, we anticipated to see more people, but didn't see anyone until we were heading out at the end of the day. 

We crossed the log and followed some nicely placed pink flagging, conveniently marking the trail next to some Devils Club and found the sign and the trail beyond.  We were able to hike up in our boots all the way to the "boulder" field, which was still covered in snow and frozen when we hit it 1.5 hours after leaving the car.  We booted up the first bit, then switched over to skis mid-way with ski crampons.  It was a super easy skin up, thanks to whomever set the skin track from the day before, and the snow was super firm and perfect for just monster trucking up.  We essentially were on cruise control the rest of the day, encountering zero issues and just enjoying all of the sights.  We hit the Inspiration glacier after 5 hours and enjoyed a nice lunch break before making our way across.  We decided not to rope up, but still kept our distance going across... nothing had opened up yet on the glacier as well, so we just kept on going to the climbers camp where we took some pictures, checked out the slope and continued upwards. 

At this point the snow was definitely getting soft, and the E face going up to the summit had a firm crust which could easily be broken by a pole, with the soft stuff below.  We stopped skinning about 100 - 150 ft below the summit where we changed over and hid our gear from the wind.  We then booted up the epic knife-ridge that we kept reading about in posts, stopping about 10 - 15 feet from the true summit since there was a nice cornice on top.  Also, to be clear, by booted, I mean I pretty much dry-humped the snow for the last 15 or so feet.. one of the joys of having a mild fear of falling off peaks with cliffs below.  All in all, with breaks and a dance-party up top (no joke, best place to ever break out Titanium and start dancing - http://youtu.be/JRfuAukYTKg) it took about 8 hours. 

We started skiing/snowboarding down around 2pm, and the snow was great down to the inspiration.  There was your typical hoot & hollers as well as smiles from ear to ear... it's hard to beat a place to ski with such an amazing backdrop.  I booted out across the inspiration and Aneka skiied ahead to the top of the Eldorado Glacier.  Due to the warming, and evidence of wet slides beginning to occur, we took it pretty conservatively and followed the skin-track closely back to the notch.  I took my snowboard off and began booting up the notch out of Roush drainage, and immediately punched through up to my armpits due to a newly formed moat below (earlier that morning, i booted down the notch hoping to have some solid steps in for our exit later, and no moat could be found).  Anyway, star-fished my way out of that and continued up and over the notch into the Eldorado drainage.

At that point, the snow was the equivalent of a wet-mop, that would slowly slide out from under you if you tried to ski cut it... or just move in general.  So, we took the "fun" way down and just kept it as low-angle as you could, and went one at a time while laughing the entire way.  We hit the boulder field which was now a soupy mess, and survival skied the heck out of it... picking our way through newly released alder tree's and rocks until we made it to tree-line and the climbers trail.  We then ate snacks, laughed and finally came to terms that our adventure was coming to a close and we would have to hike down.  Since we didn't bring approach shoes, it took about thirty minutes longer to get down then up... but hey, it was sunny out!  We crossed the log and were back to the car 4 hours after leaving the summit.  We were at the marblemount gas station 40 minutes later drinking Rainiers and eating chips.  It was the most relaxing 12-hour ski tour I've ever had... I attribute it to one of the best touring partners I know, and dance music.

Steph

Thank you soooo much for the beer! Arriving to the pyramid lake trailhead we saw a note on our car and thought we got a ticket...

and yes, the traverse was grand.

glad you two had a great trip on eldorado!

love that song - no video of the dance party ?

author=Steph B link=topic=28470.msg119726#msg119726 date=1367869712]
I mean I pretty much dry-humped the snow for the last 15 or so feet.. one of the joys of having a mild fear of falling off peaks with cliffs below
i love the analogy

Perfectly awesome steph! Way to go.

Great ski/snowrboarding story. I too especially liked the dry hump anaolgy, though in my pervy mind I was picturing it as more of a reality.

Truely sorry we never got together this winter.

Keep it up rad lady!

That's a great trip and a great report, first or 100th.
You two look like you are having a blast.

admittedly, if i saw you two on a glacier i would think it a mirage.  i feel compelled to serenade you with a poem, courtesy of edgar allan poe:

Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight,
In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song,
In search of Eldorado.

But he grew old-
This knight so bold-
And o'er his heart a shadow
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like Eldorado.

And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadow-
"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be-
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied-
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

ciao,
mc

author=mc link=topic=28470.msg120354#msg120354 date=1369337777]
admittedly, if i saw you two on a glacier i would think it a mirage.  i feel compelled to serenade you with a poem, courtesy of edgar allan poe:

thanks for the poem!  maybe next time we'll read poetry instead of having a dance party... seems way classier.

Scott - someday we'll ski together!

Reply to this TR

may-2-2013-eldorado
Steph B
2013-05-06 11:48:32