Home > Trip Reports > May 4, 2013, Mt. McLoughlin, OR

May 4, 2013, Mt. McLoughlin, OR

5/4/13
OR elsewhere
Posted by Sha-Ray-Ray on 5/6/13 2:25am
Drove up FR 3650 (Summit Trailhead) for about 3/4 mi before running into a downed tree and lots of snow on the road. Left the car at 6:30 a.m. Unfortunately, the downed tree added 4 miles of hiking to our day, which set us back and made it pretty clear we wouldn't be able to summit before the snow softened.

We turned around at 11:30 a.m. due to soft snow, after having nearly reached tree line on the SE ridge. We still got some nice turns and were able enjoy views of Shasta and other nearby buttes. We had fantastic, sunny weather (didn't experience the wind folks reported further north). Though we didn€™t get the chance to ski the renowned terrain at the top of the peak, we have something to look forward to next time!

Note: there is challenging route finding on the way down. We didn't have a GPS with us, though it would've been helpful.

Also...we ran into another couple who had taken a different road up to the trailhead that they reported was plowed, though we're not sure where they entered from.
Sorry you didn't get to summit. I am not all familiar with the access roads as both times I have been it was earlier in the year and all roads snow covered. However, I believe road NF3661 is a more major road to the summer TH and may even get plowed late in the season.

Both times I had to park on the summit snow park, which works but as yu relapsed adds some extra distance. I have heard in mid-winter you can park just off the highway on a line more directly south of the summit greatly reducing the horizontal.

Hi,

We were the couple that you saw up there.  We turned around just before you guys - you were right about the soft snow!

We initially tried driving up towards Rye Spring with an idea of skiing the SW face, but found it blocked within a mile of the highway.  We then headed up the road towards Fourmile lake.  It was plowed for 3.5 miles up from the highway (to within 2.5 miles of Fourmile lake), so we camped there and set off from that point.  We ended up having some navigation "challenges" on the way out - McLoughlin is a tough one!  Funny, we spooked a bear on the way out - it went speeding by in the woods and I initially thought it was you guys skiing by us.

any current updates to access the trail heads? thanks!

author=BaluDog link=topic=28469.msg120755#msg120755 date=1370303849]
any current updates to access the trail heads? thanks!

I skied it on the 20th of May, road 3661 is clear to the trail head. The vault toilet is even stocked with TP. Take 3661 to your first left hand turn (3650) go 200 yards and you are there. Have fun.

Reply to this TR

may-4-2013-mt-mcloughlin-or
Sha-Ray-Ray
2013-05-06 09:25:13