Home > Trip Reports > May 5, 2013, Summit West

May 5, 2013, Summit West

5/5/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by mfonda on 5/5/13 2:17am
Beautiful day today up at Summit West. Headed down around 8AM -- snow was getting pretty slushy, but wasn't too bad. Coverage is still looking good.

Took my puppy (7 month old Newfoundland) for her first time. She loved the way up, but hated the way down. Lots of barking and getting in front trying to stop me from turning. Any tips on skiing with dogs?

Like any good parent trying to get their young 'uns on the snow...

1) Put them on skis in the front room.

2) Get them on skis in the ski area parking lot.

3) Find a good, affordable ski school.

4) Diligently take them to lessons each week.

5) When they find they can't, or don't want to, ski anymore, leave them home and keep chasing the white room with your friends!

Skinning at West after the craziness at Alpental ended was a beautiful relief in fine 1-2" corn snow conditions.

author=GregLange link=topic=28459.msg119692#msg119692 date=1367809239]
Like any good parent trying to get their young 'uns on the snow...

1) Put them on skis in the front room.
2) Get them on skis in the ski area parking lot.
3) Find a good, affordable ski school.
4) Diligently take them to lessons each week.
5) When they find they can't, or don't want to, ski anymore, leave them home and keep chasing the white room with your friends!

and...
6) When the young 'uns poop in the skin track, pick it up  ;D 

My pups did the same thing when they were young.  They've learned to stay back after getting some cuts from my edges.  If you ski fast enough they tend to lag behind anyway.  I think it is good training to make them stay behind you in the skin track so they learn that they need to be staring at your butt instead of trying to bite at the magical sticks you seem to be floating on.

Reply to this TR

may-5-2013-summit-west
mfonda
2013-05-05 09:17:51