Home > Forum > Kids in the backcountry--ideas?

Kids in the backcountry--ideas?

• jt
  • [jonthomp]
More
23 May 2005 05:09 #171752 by jt
I haven't found the right equipment set-up for getting into the bc with my kids yet. We've done the boot-it when the snow was solid and the xc/alpine ski combo on a Chinook Pass outing, but each has it's limitations. Hard for kids to boot (well for everybody) in deep snow and xc skis don't grip that well in all conditions or on steep ascents.<br><br>Some options I've considered--<br>A) Fritschi bindings on his regular alpine set-up for use at the lifts and the backcountry. Anyone know the smallest boot size Fritschi bindings go down to? Any potential problems other than not finding a set the right size?<br><br>B) Cutting an old pair of skins for the xc skis for better grip while climbing. I am assuming this would help with the grip issue.<br><br>Any other ideas or suggestions would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
23 May 2005 07:47 #171754 by Alan Brunelle
Replied by Alan Brunelle on topic Re: Kids in the backcountry--ideas?
JT,<br><br>Had much the same questions last year for my then 7-year old son. I got him the Fritschi bindings. I believe they come in two or three size ranges and I can tell you that the small will be a good range for that age group. In fact they will grow with him for at least several more years and then they will either go to his younger sister or my wife if she chooses to try AT gear. Sorry I can't elaborate on the size. If I get a chance tonight, I will try to see, but I hope the age will help and I can tell you that they would adapt to significantly smaller boots. Assuming similar age or older, then they will at least fit the boot. Get the biggest size that fits to accomodate growth.<br><br>These bindings are on his old pair of downhill skis. (Actually for this year they came off of those skis so that I could put the rental bindings back on for his resort skiing.) I think that the Fritschi is a good binding for release, but remember that the AT bindings are not intended to work as well as Alpine gear, and may have not gone through the validation process that dedicated Alpine bindings do. Also, the DIN rating on the Fritschi did not accomodate his height and weight. I extrapolated below the lowest setting for my son. I know that there is a risk in this, but the skis never released in low impact falls for him yet they both popped off when he skied into a small ditch. <br><br>I have accumulated skins over the years, but not having the heart to cut them, I opted to resize an old pair of snake skins. Not so good. They are heavy. They are also too narrow even for a junior ski and they are thick, which makes it difficult keeping them flat. In any case I will now cut the old skins and fit them for him.<br><br>The skis we have are somewhat heavy, typical for kids alpine gear. Anything to reduce weight will make the trip more enjoyable and get them to want to do it again. <br><br>His cheap rental boots are great to tour in for him. They are rear entry and extremely light (feather weight). But the best thing is that when the straps are released, the back of the cuff pivots back, allowing for a much better stride. Brilliant for touring. His "expensive" racing boots are useless, weigh a ton and he can hardly walk in them even when loosened. The only problem is the rear entry cuff is that it cannot pivot all the way because it clashes with the rear binding release. This is a minor point and can be fixed by removing some of the plastic of the cuff. These types of boots can be had for $20-40 used as sports resellers because they are the least desirable boot for downhillers.<br><br>Makes me wonder about the utility of this design for big people ATers.<br><br>Alan

• jt
  • [jonthomp]
More
24 May 2005 05:05 #171762 by jt
Replied by jt on topic Re: Kids in the backcountry--ideas?
Thanks for the info. Very useful. I checked the size ranges and they should work.<br><br>I have no attachment (nor other use) for my old skinny skins so have no qualms about cutting them shorter. They will be too skinny still as you said, but are certainly better than nothing. The cheap side of me has kept me on skins way too narrow for my skis and while not perfect, they are effective for most climbs.<br><br>The weight issue doesn't concern me much as I carry most of the other needed gear. In terms of attitude and having fun while working, my son almost always amazes me with his willingness to push on and enjoy it. Not an attitude I want to damage however.