Home > Trip Reports > May 1, 2013, Coleman Headwall

May 1, 2013, Coleman Headwall

5/1/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by reukk on 5/2/13 5:28am

Left Seattle at 4am with my buddies Pablo and Dallas with the intentions of simply "skiing Baker". The plan was to go up there and check out the conditions and make decisions as we went. I honestly wasn't expecting to ski the Headwall at the start of the day, but everything kind of fell into place as the day went on.

Around 7am, we parked the truck right around Lookout Creek, and skinned about an hour to the trailhead where we got a good view of the day's prospects.

Skinning was good and fast. Had to break trail through about 4-5'' of fresh snow from Sunday's storm. Working our way to the Coleman Glacier.

We were able to navigate the glacier pretty easily, without ropes. Still early enough that the crevasses were buried or really obvious and avoidable.

With all the soft snow, we decided not to climb the headwall. Instead, we skinned up the Coleman Deming Route. Here's Dallas, breaking trail.

We booted/skinned up Pumice Ridge which was pretty wind-blown and covered in firm sastrugi. We finally got to the summit cap, pretty tired, hungry, and dehydrated. We melted some snow and talked about our decent.

The plan was to ski down to the roll-over and check it out. If the conditions for the Headwall were unfavorable, we had a "bail-line" that would go skier's left into the Moustache.

Pablo felt confident that the North face would be holding soft snow, given the conditions down below on the glacier. Skiing down to the infamous roll-over was not encouraging. It was littered with chunks of ice embedded in firm snow. Pablo led the way with a rope and axe. We got to the roll-over and the snow noticeably softened (it was around 4pm, afterall). I was surprised and couldn't really believe I was standing on the Coleman Headwall in good conditions. I hadn't really prepared myself to ski such a big line. We talked a little and made a game plan. I dropped in first with an axe in hand.

The roll-over was steep, but we simply traversed out into the gut of the headwall. As we went out the snow got softer and softer. The conditions were truly amazing! 8-10'' of soft, stable pow.

Here's Dallas dropping a knee on his new tele-tech setup.

Unreal!

Dallas navigating.

A look up the last bit.

We were able to ski right over the bergschrund.

My legs were soo tired but you couldn't stop. Really fun turns.

Dallas at the bottom, naturally stoked.

The overview.

We were able to ski, with a little side-stepping, all the way back, no skinning required. The turns continued to be great, really fun, soft, and fast.

In all, we did it in a day. About 11.5 hours total. A truly memorable day spent with some solid friends and some talented ski mountaineers. Thanks Pablo for your insights and encouragement! And thank you Dallas for breaking trail for so many miles!

Reilly
Awesome guys! Way to slay it!

Well done. Great pictures too.

Very nice!!!!! Thanks for the great report.

Way to catch it in great shape!  Conditions look fantastic up there.

in the past, when i think of "the" rollover for this route, i've always thought of the direct entrance (on that panel a ways left of your line of entry in the pic), which flips the switch on exposure, from the mellow cap to gut-wrenching airy-ness.  not to say your rollover entry isn't steep, i wouldn't know.

stellar line, well timed gents.

You're probably right, hedonaut. I'm sure the entrance on the main platform to skier's right is even more intense. Either way, there's a point at which you have to commit to the line, and it feels pretty intimidating.

Nicely done! Sweet pics.

left a nice tattoo on that coleman

Impressive day guys, nice work! Dallas instructed my AAIRE 1 course Mar 28-31 through Mountian Madness. I'm glad to see him out getting some sweet personal turns in! Thanks again Dallas, you guys taught an excellent course! I split-boarded off the summit of St Helens last week, due in no small part to the confidence gained in Dallas' Avy course. I'll be back for more, I'm totally hooked! Baker, Glacier Pk and Adams SW Chutes are next!!!!
-Robby

Right on boys way to get after it. Excellent TR, could feel the anxiety as the decision to go or no-go in was made.
Extra kudos to Dallas for the cool name and dropping a knee on that route!
How did you like your new setup?

Some Great May Day fun... much better use of energy than the downtown mayhem in Seattle.  Any slide activity in the Grouse Creek drainage from last weekend's snow?  Looks like great conditions up there.
Awesome Line!!

Awesome report - killer job guys!

CAHONES! 

We were looking up at your line yesterday on our way in and were mightily impressed.  Way to get after it!

author=powdrx link=topic=28442.msg119645#msg119645 date=1367602914]
Some Great May Day fun... much better use of energy than the downtown mayhem in Seattle.  Any slide activity in the Grouse Creek drainage from last weekend's snow?  Looks like great conditions up there.
Awesome Line!!

Nope. Pretty settled out as of friday.

Awesome!  I love how it came together.  I'm patiently waiting for that day to come  ;D

Well done!!

How long does it actually take to ski down the Headwall?

Nice work guys, looked like you nailed the conditons. Such a fun line eh! Big
exposure and sustained. Gripped start to finish. Pablo is he a guide from South
America.

Reply to this TR

may-1-2013-coleman-headwall
reukk
2013-05-02 12:28:43