Home > Trip Reports > May 1, 2013, Robinson + 4/30 Silverstar

May 1, 2013, Robinson + 4/30 Silverstar

5/1/13
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by Z-Man on 5/1/13 5:02pm
original plan was to do Silverstar then Black.  Foot and a half of fresh on Silverstar Tuesday made me reconsider since Black likely had even more snow being further West and was looking pretty unsafe given the forecasted warming.  Robinson fit the bill nicely, less than 6 inches of fresh there which has already started to consolidate. 

Siverstar reflecting the sun between squalls on Tuesday

Silverstar on Wednesday

NE slopes of Robinson from the summit

Cascades
Re: Robinson

At what point was there enough snow to ski? I'm assuming continuous snow for skiing would be above the waterfalls on Beauty Creek somewhere but before the standard route leaves the creek valley. It looks like you kept going up Beauty Creek until just below the summit and then climbed up the NE bowl.

It looks like a good approach on skis but I would think the NE bowl would be a pretty risky proposition for avalanches in mid-winter. It looks like it gets a lot of loading. So, the timing for the adventure would be right about the middle of April or early May.

You're right on all accounts.  Continuous snow started pretty much right where the se ridge routE leaves the trail.  Lots of big cornices on north facing slopes which were dropping all day, definitely need careful route selection and toming.  Was exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for posting!

I skied Silver Star last June and had a blast despite the 8 hour long ascent.  :oP

Thanks, too, for emailing me that awesome 2nd photo!

Reply to this TR

may-1-2013-robinson-4-30-silverstar
Z-Man
2013-05-02 00:02:35