Home > Trip Reports > April 30, 2013, Apex Proper, Powder

April 30, 2013, Apex Proper, Powder

4/30/13
Posted by Skier of the Hood on 5/1/13 10:22am
Was hoping to recruit someone for Rogers or Washington Pass but was unable to convince anyone to drive that far. Settled for Apex which had some nice boot top powder. Snow was superior away from the ski resort due to the smoother crust surface beneath the snow and better wind loading. Was hoping to hop into one of the yummy looking chutes straight from the peak of proper but strong winds had deposited deep drifts in the start zones so we settled for good old fashioned powder laps.
Nice! Good to see a TR from my neck of the woods for a change. Did you go all the way over and ski in the bowl(s) below Apex Proper? Any good on the ridge between Beaconsfield and Secondary Summit? Hurt my knees at Baldy on April 1 and skied crappy slush covered bumps at Apex on April 7, then discovered my injury and been healing up ever since, waiting to get back out there...!

The bowls directly off the peak were heavily windloaded but the bond seemed good to the bed surface so you could probably ski them now due to the healing effects of warm temps. We went past the normal backcountry area into powder 8 bowl and skied in that area. Anything north facing might still be ok tomorrow morning but i expect after probably 9am everything will be toast if it isnt already.

Ok, I get the last photo now, I've only been as far as the proper summit. Any sledders about?

Reply to this TR

april-30-2013-apex-proper-powder
Skier of the Hood
2013-05-01 17:22:21