Home > Trip Reports > May, 22, 2005, Unicorn Glacier MRNP

May, 22, 2005, Unicorn Glacier MRNP

5/15/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Joedabaker on 5/22/05 8:33pm
I gritted my teeth as Carol and I passed over Cayuse Pass and there was at least 4 inches of new on Chinook. Old rule-Never pass fresh new snow for more new snow. I could honestly say our plans to meet Ron J and Jeanette at the Bench Lake TH almost got folded back.
I'm glad they did not...
After exchanging long time no see welcomes Ron, Jeanette, Carol and I set out on the Bench Lake TH around 9:30 AM. The trail is almost entirely snow free until Snow Lake (not mud free). We were lucky we had great visability to scope the chutes from the Unicorn to Snow Lake, which had melted to a point that made them unskiable at least to our comfort zones. Snow began to fall as we made our way up the snow filled North chute. The sun broke out about the time we summited the chute to expose the beautiful ampitheater that graces the lower flanks of the Unicorn. The snow had a couple inches of new snow served up with a touch of a rain or sun crust and topped with a trace to 2 inches of new snow. We all knew we were in for a fun ski down at that point. So why stop there? The snow conditions improved and became stronger to support my weight as we made our approach to the saddle of the Unicorn. In the meantime Mother Nature decided to unleash and snow started to blast us. The once visible Unicorn saddle was encased in clouds. Trudging forward with heads down we managed to skin to the top of the Unicorn saddle in snow that varied from 8 inches of new to old avy debris and hard pack wind effect. I dug serveral hasty pits on the climb and the snow was very well glued to the old snow base.
The normal summit lunch break turned in to get it while we can see it. The visability opened for a second and poured us another glass of 2% to try to find our way down the saddle. The skiing was less than marginal, but we managed to get our way through. Flat light was in full view. Snow still pummelled us all the way down to the lake. We skied back our approach North chute followed by segmented snow to the TH. Then the sun came out again for the hike on the mud trail out.
Overall a great trip-The alpine experience in the cirque above Snow Lake is outstanding and the hike in and around Snow Lake is really fabulous eye candy.
Passing new snow for a guided tour to this great place was well worth a life time of memories.
Conditions did not merit frequently pulling out the camera, although I have some pictures to share later.
Joe
Nice TR Joe!  I look forward to seeing some of your pics later.

Great TR, Joe.
Thanks.

Here you go on the pics

Yes, nice report Joe! I was busy with other pursuits or I would have been there. Hope to ski with you again soon.....Jerry

Conditions did not merit frequently pulling out the camera,..........

Even though the light was terrible, I did manage to get a few shots HERE, and also added with a little reminder, at the end, of how nice it can be later in the year.

Sorry- Jeanette no pics of you ???  What was I thinking?

No problem Joe, it wasn't one of my better ski days  >:( with the ever changing snow and light conditions.  I felt like I was driving a large semi rig with no power steering and the trailer behind be was totally out of control  ;D.  Where the heck was the Jake brake when you need it??  ;D

I felt like I was driving a large semi rig with no power steering and the trailer behind be was totally out of control  

Maybe your heavy pack needs a gross vehicle weight on the side?  :D
Great pics Mad Dog! I see the slide pics but, I could not get the pics to show when I clicked on them. Could be my tempermental computer.  >:(
I like the 2% shot! That sums up the ski down the upper glacier.
Thanks again for the great day
Joe

I see the slide pics but.......

Joe, on the photo site, just across from the title "Unicorn Gl, on the right, you will see "View" check to see that your bullet is in the Grid view and not the List view.  When the List View is checked, I could not get the photos to enlarge and open either, once I re-checked the "Grid View" the photos came up.  I dunno, computers seem to be a never ending source of pleasure and frustration  :D
It was a very fun day with fun company.   8)

Reply to this TR

may-22-2005-unicorn-glacier-mrnp
Joedabaker
2005-05-23 03:33:54