Home > Trip Reports > April 25, 2013, SW Couloir of North Twin Sister

April 25, 2013, SW Couloir of North Twin Sister

4/25/13
OR elsewhere
Posted by tabski on 4/25/13 3:25pm
Met LD in Deming dark and early, and we were pushing our bikes up the logging road to North Twin Sister by 5am. Easy travel and only getting lost once put us on the summit at around 1020am.

We skied off the 6,640' summit and down the SW couloir to about 5,240'. Snow was in excellent condition, well consolidated throughout. Unexpected wind and cloud cover and the early hour seemed to be preventing unsafe warming on this aspect, so we decided to climb up the couloir we had just descended back to the summit.

From there we descended the standard north face. The upper face was unconsolidated and wet-slide prone, but the lower angled slopes below held very good corn snow. We exited quickly thanks to good snow through the shrubby portion of the logging road, and were at the car at 220pm.

LD in the lower section of the couloir.

John Scurlock image.  

yeah man! how was skiing the summit to the notch? every time i've been up there, it's been all rock

Currently from the summit there is a steep ramp that connects to a gully which got us to the couloir.

^ wow that blew in nicely

Haha.

I must be getting blind. Looking at that scurlock photo I dont see a line until a third of the way down.

Nice one tabke,  and congrats on your success this past winter! Was stoked waching the videos.

Nice send Drew! Look forward to getting out with ya!

great looking line. way to sort out the logistics to make it happen efficiently.

That was a fun day for sure! Well worth skipping class, haha.

I'll put up some of my photos on Monday probably.

Reply to this TR

april-25-2013-sw-couloir-of-north-twin-sister
tabski
2013-04-25 22:25:41