Home > Trip Reports > April 22 NCNP, silverstar burgundy couloir

April 22 NCNP, silverstar burgundy couloir

4/22/13
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by ND on 4/25/13 3:17pm
Woke up freezing inside the outback at Washington pass. Took half an hour to defrost the interior windows. Should have gone east and lower.  Older, not wiser.

We met up with the rest of the group and went down to silverstar creek. Started touring from the car. Trees were pretty nasty ice. Found our the hard way that my old spark crampons don't work with the voile dual climbing wires. Ended up just booting it up the creek out of frustration. Started touring in the flats bellow Vasiliki. Found new snow over a very firm layer with varrying bonds.
Due to heavy tracks on silverstar we went up Burgundy instead. Three of our group decided that going up to the summit wasn't worth while as there were NO tracks on Burgundy. Two pressed on to summit while the others pow hunted. Found a nice chute that faced nw and held pow. Jen took the left, I took the right with a nice one turn 50 degree entrance that exposed a rock. Chute rode perfectly, had a little sluff while it was steeper but nothing to he concerned about.

We all re-grouped under Vasiliki and went to fight the death ice of the trees. Stayed well east of the creek. This part was terrible. I mean September sun bomb holes of doom on muir level of terrible. Thank god for beer at the car.

Reply to this TR

april-22-ncnp-silverstar-burgundy-couloir
ND
2013-04-25 22:17:36