Home > Trip Reports > April 24, What used to be Source Lake

April 24, What used to be Source Lake

4/24/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Ahitch on 4/25/13 4:32am
Headed up to ski Chair Peak Basin and came across the biggest slide I've ever seen, by far.  I'm not exactly sure when this occurred, but it appears that a rather large slab broke off from the west ridge of Chair (highlighted in the 2nd picture) and took a lot of snow with it.  The slide completely filled Source Lake with debris.  Lots of other point release slides could be seen in the area.  Any rocks with large accumulations of snow on top seemed to be quite dangerous in this warm weather.

This massive slide got a me a little spooked, so I turned around and ski in-bounds at Alpental, which also had a number of large slides.

Picture 1 is on the approach to Source Lake.
Picture 2 is standing on the knoll to the south of Source Lake, where you usually look down 30' or so into the lake.

If you're enjoying the sun this week, be careful.
author=Ahitch link=topic=28383.msg119366#msg119366 date=1366918323]

This massive slide got a me a little spooked, so I turned around and ski in-bounds at Alpental, which also had a number of large slides.

In case you didn't see it:
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=28300.0

author=Ahitch link=topic=28383.msg119366#msg119366 date=1366918323]
I turned around and ski in-bounds at Alpental, which also had a number of large slides.

Thanks for the photos, the alpen-tal continues to earn its reputation.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but in reply to your above quote, please check out this thread:
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=28300.0

They're pretty clear about what they do and don't want, it would be a shame to jeopardize future use.  Honestly I reckon a lot of folks just don't know that clearly, like several fellas I talked to this AM on my way out to the back end of the valley who then headed accross the pass.

Thanks for the heads up.  I honestly didn't know about that policy, but will abide by it in the future. 

author=alpine-earth link=topic=28383.msg119369#msg119369 date=1366922964]
Thanks for the photos, the alpen-tal continues to earn its reputation.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but in reply to your above quote, please check out this thread:

They're pretty clear about what they do and don't want, it would be a shame to jeopardize future use.  Honestly I reckon a lot of folks just don't know that clearly, like several fellas I talked to this AM on my way out to the back end of the valley who then headed accross the pass.

I respect the job of the poster of that thread: to keep people safe and prevent any incidents where they are doing work and others are unknowingly below skinning up. At the same time, my gut reacts unfavorably to private companies telling people what they can do with OUR land. I understand they have a permit, but they are still running an operation, for profit, on land that we, the public, own. Anyway, I suppose that's just the way it is and I love the Alpental area so I wouldn't want to piss them off or cause future problems. Sorry to derail your thread with a soapbox rant. :)

That's an impressive slide. Source Lake basin will fairly often experience very large spring slides. I remember one quite a few years back that wiped a whole lot of timber when it came down. Definitely an active area! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Reply to this TR

april-24-what-used-to-be-source-lake
Ahitch
2013-04-25 11:32:03