Home > Trip Reports > May 22, 2005, Timberline, Mt Hood

May 22, 2005, Timberline, Mt Hood

5/22/05
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Jeff Huber on 5/22/05 7:18am
It was windy. We arrived around 9am to winds and cool temperatures. The upper mtn was obscured by broken clouds, but there was blue sky to our east. There was talk of changing venue to MHM which likely had more blue sky, but we decided to stay put. Skinning up the wind seemed to increase, though the clouds did break:

We skinned to 9100ft, directly above the lift. The wind was relentless. Aaron, who was wearing Mammut softshell pants, experienced severe discomfort due to his "little him" being frozen from the wind. He appeared to be in quite intense pain. Jason was kind of enough to give him some chemical handwarmers which Aaron reported to install on the affected area and it resolved the issue. Consider this a public service announcement.

Initially we had thought about heading onto the Zigzag glacier and accessing slopes below Illumination Rock, but with the wind there was not much motivation for this. We descended straight down. Along with various wind undulations, the slopes above the groomed had patches of wind-scattered powder which yielded a few nice turns.

Near the lodge we skinned over to the Salmon River drainage for some

We skinned to 9100ft, directly above the lift. The wind was relentless. Aaron, who was wearing Mammut softshell pants, experienced severe discomfort due to his "little him" being frozen from the wind. He appeared to be in quite intense pain. Jason was kind of enough to give him some chemical handwarmers which Aaron reported to install on the affected area and it resolved the issue. Consider this a public service announcement.

You know...I have never had this happen to me. If you didn't get what Jeff was getting at here is the deal.

As we skinned above the Palmer lift the wind was blowing in our faces and it was cold. I don't know about other articles of soft shell clothing but my Mammut pants are not wind resistant in a stiff wind. It was either blowing through the material or the zipper. But my little guy got soooooooo cold. This was one of the most painful things I have ever felt. When I caught up with the group Jason gave me a couple hand warmers to stick down my pants. You know that feeling when your hands and feet get really cold and you start to warm them up it just burns and feels like needles, this is what was going on my pants.

Well, no one ever told me this would ever be a  problem. As everyone laughed at me with my hands down my pants on the side of Mt Hood, I swore this would never happen again. So I will be a knew owner of a pair of wind proof skivvies.

So everyone should learn from my pain. This was the worst.

Aaron

Seems like a new screen name Arron might be handy about now...
How about "Frozen Johnson"?

Seems like a new screen name Arron might be handy about now...
How about "Frozen Johnson"?

I'm with Ron- and the run they took could be called Frozen Johnson Chute!

My thought was he could have used an extra glove to pack down there. That would even impress the largest of snow snakes. Not mention the head turners in the parking lot.

How about "Chillie Willie"

Aaron

Reply to this TR

may-22-2005-timberline-mt-hood
Jeff Huber
2005-05-22 14:18:58