Home > Trip Reports > April 24 Fuhrer Finger approach

April 24 Fuhrer Finger approach

4/24/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Mattski on 4/24/13 12:25pm
Went to The Fuhrer in hopes a of a good corn run, not quite. Approached via the Fan and had to boot up due to firm early AM crust that supported body weigh a 1/3 of the time. The snow depth varied from a few inches of soft sastrugi to 15" of saturated snow from the last storm and wind transport in the Wilson Glacier/Turtle snow field.

By 10 AM, the heat felt like  microwave, we though we hallucinated when two incredible strong women caught up to us in jog bras and tights. They pushed on as  we headed down from the base of the Fuhrer where we saw the need for more post holing and preferred a beer.

Will try to add images, can't seem to load them.
Nice meeting you two yesterday!  Was great chatting with you guys in the parking lot :)  Looking forward to some pics

author=Mattski link=topic=28371.msg119326#msg119326 date=1366860302]
Went to The Fuhrer in hopes a of a good corn run, not quite. Approached via the Fan and had to boot up due to firm early AM crust that supported body weigh a 1/3 of the time. The snow depth varied from a few inches of soft sastrugi to 15" of saturated snow from the last storm and wind transport in the Wilson Glacier/Turtle snow field.

By 10 AM, the heat felt like  microwave, we though we hallucinated when two incredible strong women caught up to us in jog bras and tights. They pushed on as  we headed down from the base of the Fuhrer where we saw the need for more post holing and preferred a beer.

Will try to add images, can't seem to load them.

I think I saw these same women up on the Decker Glacier when I was slinking away because of adverse conditions. They must always be about...

We got the finger yesterday, great skiing in the coulior, really shitty post holing though!

Saw your ski tracks in the fan.

Reply to this TR

april-24-fuhrer-finger-approach
Mattski
2013-04-24 19:25:02