Home > Trip Reports > may 21, 2005, monte cristo, north col

may 21, 2005, monte cristo, north col

5/21/05
Posted by kam on 5/22/05 4:15am
the Monte Cristo area has intrigued me for some time.  originally, what caught my attention -- in addition to hearing that it was remote, beautiful, and historic -- was the approach:

biking adds another way to bring the heartrate up; it cuts down on time, both in and out; and importantly, it's fun.

the forecast for Saturday wasn't ideal, but i managed to convince Cass to go explore the area over skiing Vesper Peak. we were expecting it to rain.  at 6am we left Seattle and by  8:20am, we started pedaling from the gate at Barlow Pass (elev. 2361 ft.).  suprisingly, it's a leisure 4.1-mile ride to the old mining town of Monte Cristo.  the ride gains about 300 vf., pretty mellow compared to the ride up the logging roads to North Twin Sister.  the road to Monte Cristo is smooth, and it acrosses a couple creeks, with one requiring a dismount and hike-a-bike over a log-like bridge.  the ride goes by fast (expect 30-40 minutes).  interestingly, at the entrance to the town of Monte Cristo, we found a bike rack and two other bikes locked to it.  biking appears to be a popular way to get to the town.  Cass and i didn't bring a lock, so we stashed our bikes behind an old abandoned building at the east end of town.

i know nothing about the history of the town of Monte Cristo, but being there i got a sense that it was a really interesting place.  Cass, with his vast knowledge of Cascade history, clued me in as we strolled through town.  anyway, from town we followed Dumas St. to Glacier Basin.  the trail climbs for 2 miles, about 1600 vf., and pleasantly hugs Glacier Creek, except for a short steep section that reminds me of the approach to Mt. Spickard (i.e., occassional veggie belays).  there's even a waterfall that looks like the Unforgettable Waterfall, but not quite as big.

once we entered Glacier Basin, an impressive view of a chain connecting Cadet Peak, Monte Cristo and Wilmans Peak unfolded.  there's a lot of skiable terrain in this area and i couldn't wait to get up higher to have a better look. we didn't have any set plans for the day.  we decided not to visit Wilmans Peak because of minimal coverage.  too bad because it would have been a nice ski.  the high snowline on Cadet and Monte Cristo exposed a large cliff band making the access difficult. after careful examination, we noticed a potential gully through the cliffs and decided on Monte Cristo.  when we got to the base, it turned out to be pretty straightforward, however, being a terrain trap (active slide path) we didn't waist much time. above the cliffs the terrain easied off considerably.  looking up at Monte Cristo, i saw a couple good lines on its west face.  there was a direct line that looked reasonable, somewhat steepish.  to its left was a moderately steep gully leading to a col, and north of that the ridge drops to another col (lower), one that separates Cadet and Monte Cristo.  surprisingly, there was about 4 inhces of new snow, which was wind loaded and poorly bonded to the granulated based below.  the new snow wasn't fluff either, but heavy and it balled up easily.  the winds blew from time to time and the incoming weather looked ominous.  after considering the snow condition and weather, Cass and i decided to shoot for the lower north col of Monte Cristo.  the higher col would have been nice, and even the more direct line, but we didn't feel comfortable climbing up steepish slopes in funky snow.  we donned skis and carefully worked our way to the col. as we climbed, we noticed sluffing on steeper aspects.  

at the col (~6500 ft.), we were greeted by an impressive view to the east and Glacier Peak.  the terrain was eye-candy -- lots to ski back there.  from the col we boot up the ridge toward Cadet for a better view.  we didn't get very far because the snow went from shin-deep to thigh-deep.  to the south we saw a wall of white moving in our direction.  a few minutes later, wind and snow hit us in the face.  it was time to go.  we skied down and found sections that felt like butta. as we traversed to drop back down the gully into the basin, we noticed fresh debris from a couple of small natural releases, one of which ran down the direct line that we were eyeing earlier.  good thing we didn't go up there.  at the base, it started to rain.  we found shelter underneath a large boulder and waited out the rain.  while pedalling down, we saw a couple hikers. i wonder what they were thinking.

more photos
]
]
]
Wow, nice job Kam. Your TR motivated me to lookup that area in topo and google Monte Cristo. Neat stuff!

Looking good, friends - I remain envious.  Just a couple more weeks to go...

Very nice!

Kam, I'm hoping you had a bottle of wine in that pack, to accompany the baguette.... ;)

the road to Monte Cristo is smooth, and it acrosses a couple creeks, with one requiring a dismount and hike-a-bike over a log-like bridge.

ski touring + cyclocross . . . I sense the birth of a new sport . . .

Randocross? Cyclonee? Cyclomark? ;D

The ranger station there at Verlot has a neat little museum devoted to the lore of the region.

Nice trip report.  

A fun trip in an amazing area!  Glad to finally see (and ski) the Monte Cristo area.  Seems crazy that miners scaled many of the rugged peaks/spires in this area over 100 years ago!

The lighting was generally bad for photography (no complaints though as the torrential down pours held off until the drive back home), but some additional pics are posted here:

http://www.cascadesfreak.com/gallery/montecristo5-21-2005

Nice creative tour! I like the pic of Chris postholing up with the parachute exposure behind him.
At first I thought Kam was on a unicycle and pondered that those guys really know how to raise the bar. That would have made the event a uniski.
Thanks for the report and pics on an area I really have wanted to visit, but got put on the back, backburner.
Joe

Nice trip - Chris are you still feeling a bonus from time spent at high altitude?

Glacier Basin was one of the first places that I had been growing up around here that got me hooked on the mountains!

Nice pictures, Chris. Wilman's Peaks sure are cool, looks like the Dolomites or something. Good thing Kam's a "sponsored athlete" the way he travels over those rock fields!

Week after week Kam's TR garnishes the most replies - must be the excellent photos.  Great pics again this week.

Chris are you still feeling a bonus from time spent at high altitude?

I felt suprisingly slow on Saturday; guess that acclimatization from spending 2 weeks at 10,000+ feet in Peru has worn-off quickly.  
Mental note: bring approach shoes next time as "hiking" up the steep, slippery trail above the Monte Cristo townsite is tiring in ski boots.

The dramatic relief of Wilmans peaks was definitely an unexpected highlight; I hadn't been able to see those spires from other vantage points on previous trips near that area (i.e. Gothic Basin, etc.).

Randocross? Cyclonee? Cyclomark? ;D

"cyclonee" is very creative.  but for me, i like "telecross".  now since we're designing a new sport, how about establishing some rules: (1) bike can only have one gear -- cause that's all you need ;), (2) skis must have reverse sidecut, AND (3) width of skis underfoot must be AT LEAST 125mm ;D.  oh, i think the course should require skiing over 50 meters of rock.

... At first I thought Kam was on a unicycle ...

creative.

for those interested, here's a photo of Monte Cristo made at Glacier Basin.  the red solid-line represents our route.  other possibilities, i think, are shown by red dashed-lines.  go get it.

edited to add:
i almost forgot. here's a peek at the spires of Wilmans Peaks.  sweet like candy ;D.

Cool. That's the couloir we skied earlier this season, the one you have of Wilman's spire. Boy, it has sure melted out...

Telecross? So . . . you'll be wanting SPD cleats in those T1's, right?

Nice job... I can relate to the "wall of weather" coming in.  I was up there on 4/28, racing to the col before the clouds moved in from the north - I was going to try for the higher notch too, but the weather scared me.  I made it about 1000ft down before it rained, and then it started thundering once I got down into the basin.

Looks nice with fresh snow on the peaks... actually, the upper mountain looks almost more filled in now as it did a month ago, but probably just an illusion.

Reply to this TR

may-21-2005-monte-cristo-north-col
kam
2005-05-22 11:15:42