Home > Trip Reports > Apri 20, 2013, Earl/Teanaway

Apri 20, 2013, Earl/Teanaway

4/20/13
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by NickD on 4/20/13 1:00pm
Another one of those you don't know unless you go days. Bean Basin was in a rain shadow today. Only a few flurries and drops later on the way out. Heavy winds kept it cool with occasional sun-breaks.

We were able to drive about 1/3 mile up Beverly Road. On the way out a high clearance pickup went about 400 yards farther. I do not think it will be drivable to Beverly TH until maybe next weekend. By that time, in viewing the coming warming, the lower Bean woods will require lots of walking. Bean creek crossing was easy peasy but warming will change that. Except for short creek crossing, continual from there.

Very nice 1800' run off south side of Earl. Lower third quite soft but still skied nice. Coombacks helped. By the time we headed off the summit again, around 300p, the NW run had softened to buttery softness with firm undercrust.

The corn needs more time on the stove, but as usual, by the time it really consolidates, there will be too much melt out. Get it now.

See Yard Sale topic for found ski pole near the Beverly/Bean trail intersection.
Hello Nick!
We almost crossed paths.  I joined a trip led by Hans S.  Our plan was to head up Beverly Ck, ascend up the ridge on the northeast, then up ridge to top out at ~6700 (Bean Pk), then drop down Bean-Earl cirque & Bean Ck for the trip out.  But lee side breakable crust & firnspiegel, + very strong ridge top winds, ended our tour atop Bean(?) Pk.  So we dropped back down the ridge we came up, & down into the Beverly drainage again.  Great corn and good cruising down to where the trees become denser for the trail out.  Yeah, I'd say if this next week is as hot as forecast, then a lot of the Beverly trail will become a walk as well; as it was we walked 1/2 mi or so anyway, to trailhead.  How did the head of Bean Ck look, across from Earl?
Cheers, Gerry 

Sorry I missed you Gerry. Location... The main Bean Basin has lots of coverage, just the lower woods will soon require multiple de skis. Judy and Mary will be good if get some clear nights.

Any idea how close to the Esmeralda TH you could get?

Nope. Guess it would still be awhile, possibly 3 to 4 weeks for end of the road access. Mtn bike if you REALLY want it!

Reply to this TR

apri-20-2013-earl-teanaway
NickD
2013-04-20 20:00:29