Home > Trip Reports > May 20, 2005, Joffre Peak BC

May 20, 2005, Joffre Peak BC

5/20/05
Canada BC
Posted by matosan on 5/21/05 6:59am
Stephen Ziff and I (Matt Gunn) skied the Aussie Couloir on Mount Joffre as a day trip from Vancouver. We left town at 5 AM and were hiking by 8:20. The Cerise Creek Trail is snow free to the valley draining the North Face of Joffre, which we ascended. The first section of the valley involved a short wet bushwhack followed by a crossing of a slippery boulder field. We hit snow a short distance up the valley, and climbed to the ridge behind Keith's Hut. Crossed over Motel 66 and them followed the Anniversary Glacier to Joffre-Matier Col and then to the base of the Aussie Couloir. The bootpack was quite a slog (1300 ft I think). We summited just after 2 PM and then skied the entire couloir from the ridge just below the summit. The couloir entrance was a bit tricky (icy crust under an inch of snow) but quickly led to enjoyable turns all the way down. Slope angle measured at 45º at the top, 40º in the middle and 45º at the bottom. The Anniversary Galcier was good skiing, but by the time we hit Motel 66 the snow was pretty heavy. We retraced our ascent route and made it to the car before 6 PM. It was a fantastic day, especially because it was the third time trying to ski the couloir this year. I highly recommend this trip, and I'm on the lookout for some more good couloirs in the area.

Stephen in the couloir during our second (aborted) attempt.

Not a bad first post.  What do you have for a follow-up?! ;D

Nice Line!!  I've been looking at it for years, but have never pulled the trigger.

Out of curiousity, what considerations were involved in aborting the other two attempts?

The first time we only went one-third of the way up, and turned back due to avi conditions. We skied down without incident. The second time we went half-way up, but turned back again due to concern about the avi conditions. As we were descending, my friend Chris triggered a 30 cm thick slab which swept him down part of the couloir. No one was hurt, but we were convinced we had made the right call to abort.

Good job, matosan! The Aussie is looker's left in Tim's picture?

yup, aussie is the left hand line. I think a good name for the right hand line could be "Kiwi Couloir"

So that couloir is about 1,400'?  It sure looks nice, thanks for the report.

Actually I think it's 1300' from the glacier, maybe 1200' from the bottom of the actual cliffband

wow, what a timely report! i was thinking of heading to that area next weekend, never been...how does the skiing in general look like around keith's hut, is there enough coverage ?? thanks!

Sweet Line!!!
Drool just shorted my keyboard.
From your photo it looks steeper than 40 to 45 degrees. Your picture make me want to jump right in. Also from Tim's pic it appears that there are some small wind ridges in the chute-Did you experience that? How many kilometers was the hike in?
Great first post-I look forward to some more of that stuff!
Joe

ema: athe snow is a bit thin around the hut and pretty heavy til you get pretty high up. there isn't a ton of good touring terrain right now. vantage looks pretty melted out. matier NW  face might be good.

Joedabaker: i didn't notice any wind ridges. the hike in was about 5 km from road to couloir.

Reply to this TR

may-20-2005-joffre-peak-bc
matosan
2005-05-21 13:59:48