Home > Trip Reports > April 9, 2013, Cashmere Mountain NW Face

April 9, 2013, Cashmere Mountain NW Face

4/9/13
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by tsuyoshi on 4/10/13 11:03am
long version here

seeing a break in the weather on the east side of the state, will, dan, tom and i set out eyes toward cashmere. we didn't really have a plan as to what we wanted to ski on cashmere, we just wanted to ski when it wasn't raining. we parked one car at the bridge creek turnoff and another 4 miles up the icicle at the next bridge, just in case.

we walked the road from bridge creek campgroud up to the eightmile trail, went up pioneer creek and didn't really get to start skinning until a ways up the shoulder of cashmere under the black pyramid. the snow went from hard suncrust to windcrust over powder within 300' vert. easy booting from the top of the ne couloir led to the sunny summit!

we skied the nw face in great snow... soft and almost zero sluff. none of us had ever skied out past victoria lake so we just started skiing. we were surprised to find a 2000' run of great snow down to the lake (i want to go back for the skiers right couloir down to the lake). below the lake we just kept skiing until the snow was gone then bushwacked. we had no clue where to go except down and to the left to find the bridge.

i don't think i've ever seen so many "private property" signs in my life. wanting to avoid private property we bushwacked down to the creek and eventually found a long log crossing, got wet and ended up on the other side of the creek looking at more private property signs. thankfully the road appeared minutes later. spent a lot of time walking up and down the road trying to determine which direction the closest car was in.

skiing out via victoria lake was a spur of the moment decision at 4:00 am and all the shenanigans we encountered could easily be avoided. 5 min of internet research today and i discovered the proper exit from the lake avoiding our mistakes!
I dunno. That log crossing looks to exciting to miss! I say you got the exit right.

Nice work getting the weather window and great snow!

Is that a skin track on the colchuck glacier?

author=alecapone link=topic=28241.msg118742#msg118742 date=1365649656]

Is that a skin track on the colchuck glacier?

no skin track on the glacier from what we could tell... we kept thinking we would see someone going up the glacier with such great weather

Cool report and photos but good God, walk the road next time, and don't do it a second time.  Much preferable than calling Chelan Co. sheriff's to get rescued had you taken a spill in the creek. 

Heh..

I was kidding. That was my car parked at the gate. seen you guys pitching your tents when I pulled in. Thought I would see you at some point.

Judging by the shadow line in the first pic,  im about at the colchuck col.

Reply to this TR

april-9-2013-cashmere-mountain-nw-face
tsuyoshi
2013-04-10 18:03:43