Home > Trip Reports > Apr 7. Artist's Point et al

Apr 7. Artist's Point et al

4/7/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by EbenezerSteezer on 4/8/13 9:38am
Sunday was a great day for inbounds skiing with the new snow, but in true baker fasion, everything was ridden out by about noon. We skiied pretty much all day inbound with a long lunch break, then at 2:00 drove to the Heather Meadows parking  lot and geared up for a little tour. The snow seemed stable enough during our inbounds runs and little rope ducks into Oi Vally and the Elbow, Considerable danger but no observed slide activity.
It wasn't a great day for visibility so the consensus was Swift creek laps and maybe Artist's Point too. Dropping just south of the Shire area was awesome. Nice stable glades run with some deep slashes for April. We skinned out and up to Artist's point with great visibility. The long spring warming trend had defiantly melted out a lot of steeps and things were looking big back there. We guessed on the safest place to drop and found a reasonably skiable grade on the NE aspect. Only issue was the series of giant holes that only became visible a few feet from them. That and a big slab broke behind the first person to drop in!
We skiied carefully down narrowly missing the holes. I broke another sizable slab in an untouched steep section and was carried a few feet before I could dig into the bed surface and stop.
We then continued down a gully and each sent small but noticeable slides into it, that carried on much farther that the expected run out. Defiantly sketchy!
We skinned back out the drainage and into the ski area (5:25 by then) and skied down Chicken Ridge, also full of monstrous holes that were fun to air over, but could easily swallow someone not anticipating one.
Be careful out there shredders.
I popped about a foot deep crown in Oi on Sunday and watched a skier pop a very wide (~100 ft) but shallow sympathetic slide on the Elbow.  There were definite signs of instability near the ski area.

Good to hear that you had fun and made it out safe.

Reply to this TR

apr-7-artist-s-point-et-al
EbenezerSteezer
2013-04-08 16:38:16