Home > Forum > Ap,8th,2013, Scarpa AT boots in my Alpine Bindings

Ap,8th,2013, Scarpa AT boots in my Alpine Bindings

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
08 Apr 2013 11:25 #209378 by avajane
OK, So I've been an alpine skier my whole life, and have nearly always adjusted my bindings and my family's bindings myself. We have never had a leg injury - but who knows if some premature releases may have occurred.

Now that I have a new pair of lightweight Scarpa AT Boots (Tornado), I'd like to try skiing them in my Alpine Bindings. Looking at the boots side by side, I see no problems. I put the boot in and adjusted it - and banged it out left and right with the palm of my hand, and was able to step out with someone standing on the back of the ski. (These are the tests I have always preformed.)

I'm in a race in May that starts with a 200 yard uphill sprint. With the way I run uphill in ski boots - I could use some help with weight.

Any ideas???

Bindings are Atomic 412 Centro They look like a standard step in on a platform that's attached to the ski. (An integrated system on Atomic skis)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Apr 2013 12:31 #209380 by flowing alpy
run up one of the many closed ski hills in the cascades, click in ski down, report findings.
bobby

• bfree32
  • [bfree32]
More
08 Apr 2013 12:48 #209381 by bfree32

Now that I have a new pair of lightweight Scarpa AT Boots (Tornado), I'd like to try skiing them in my Alpine Bindings. Looking at the boots side by side, I see no problems. I put the boot in and adjusted it - and banged it out left and right with the palm of my hand, and was able to step out with someone standing on the back of the ski. (These are the tests I have always preformed.)

How many newton-meters is that? ;)

Tornados are hardly considered light by modern AT boot standards, but they were made to be used interchangeably with standard alpine bindings. If you're not confident in the release characteristics, get them checked by a shop. Actually they might not even touch them, 412s had a recall a few years back and I don't think are on the indemnified list anymore.

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
08 Apr 2013 12:57 #209382 by avajane
Yeah check this out. I bought the Tornado's as "new" and on sale at Marmot Mountain Works in Bellevue this fall. (I'm new to AT) I found out afterwards that they were at least 5 years old. Thanks Marmot!

At least they are still 2.5 pounds per pair lighter than my Alpine boots.

Glad to hear that they were made for Alpine Bindings. They sure are nice to walk in. I will check the set up soon.

• Chuck C
  • [Chuck Cerveny]
More
08 Apr 2013 16:24 #209385 by Chuck C

Yeah check this out. I bought the Tornado's as "new" and on sale at Marmot Mountain Works in Bellevue this fall. (I'm new to AT) I found out afterwards that they were at least 5 years old.  Thanks Marmot!

My experience has been that they have over stock that they sell at sale prices as it gets older. Often they are listed as F05 for Fall(?) 2005 or something like that. But they are brand new. Got a pair of AT boots for my daughter that way. They were still new in the box, so = new. If you bought them off the used rack then they'd be labeled as such.

My best suggestion would be to stick with the old boots, chug 2, maybe 4 beers before the uphill then let loose at the top. That should keep the competition way behind you. Can't stress hydration enough.

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
08 Apr 2013 16:35 #209386 by avajane

My experience has been that they have over stock that they sell at sale prices as it gets older.  Often they are listed as F05 for Fall(?) 2005 or something like that.  But they are brand new.  Got a pair of AT boots for my daughter that way.  They were still new in the box, so = new.  If you bought them off the used rack then they'd be labeled as such.

My best suggestion would be to stick with the old boots, chug 2, maybe 4 beers before the uphill then let loose at the top.  That should keep the competition way behind you.  Can't stress hydration enough.

I get it - but when you are pushing 5 or 6 years I think they are really playing with the truth. I didn't get the kind of great price I would have expected on boots from another era...When I've gotten really old skis from GI Joe, I always paid a dirt cheap price.

The uphill sprint is at 7,600' and I live at 200'. I'll be so far behind those "Wild Plainsmen" when I strap into my skis - it won't matter what boots I'm wearing.

• WhiteyWhite
  • [WhiteyWhite]
More
08 Apr 2013 17:15 #209388 by WhiteyWhite
The Atomic Centro 412 is indeed recalled. Well, it's on the recall list. What that means is certain models in a specific "batch" had bad heels. So if your heel piece happens to be made from the bad "batch" then you simply send it to Atomic, and they will send you a new heel piece. I do believe though, that an authorized Atomic dealer needs to send it in, i.e. a ski shop.

As far as putting your new boots into that binding.... it doesn't have an adjustable toe height. So from a ski shop point of view, they legally aren't allowed to do it. Really it's the rubber sole that won't release properly with the AFD on the binding. I currently ski rubber soled touring boots, in Marker race bindings for my resort set up. I know they won't release properly, but I also have my DIN cranked and don't want them to release.

So in a nut shell, yes you can do it, but if you like having your skis pop off when you fall, I'd be hesitant. And as far as the recall of the binding, I would get them sent in to Atomic. I've seen one come back that was in the "bad batch" and the whole heel piece cracked in half...Just saying, it's easier to deal with than a knee injury.

Good luck!

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
08 Apr 2013 17:45 #209391 by avajane

The Atomic Centro 412 is indeed recalled. Well, it's on the recall list. What that means is certain models in a specific "batch" had bad heels. So if your heel piece happens to be made from the bad "batch" then you simply send it to Atomic, and they will send you a new heel piece. I do believe though, that an authorized Atomic dealer needs to send it in, i.e. a ski shop.

It was recalled but the recall is over. I bought a new heel piece from play it again sports for $25 so my R11's are good to go again.

As far as putting your new boots into that binding.... it doesn't have an adjustable toe height. So from a ski shop point of view, they legally aren't allowed to do it. Really it's the rubber sole that won't release properly with the AFD on the binding. I currently ski rubber soled touring boots, in Marker race bindings for my resort set up. I know they won't release properly, but I also have my DIN cranked and don't want them to release.

The toe piece is adjustable and I adjusted it. I looked it up and the Tornado's were sold to work with Alpine Bindings according to Scarpa so I'm feeling pretty good. I scratched the bottom of my old Dalbello's and the new Scarpa's and could tell that Scarpa put a harder "more plastic" material above the AFD. I'm good with all I've heard and will be happy to race down an easy GS with no fear.

So in a nut shell, yes you can do it, but if you like having your skis pop off when you fall, I'd be hesitant. And as far as the recall of the binding, I would get them sent in to Atomic. I've seen one come back that was in the "bad batch" and the whole heel piece cracked in half...Just saying, it's easier to deal with than a knee injury.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. When my original heel failed I didn't even know it. I was going to let my Nephew use the skis and was adjusting the bindings when I noticed that the heels would pop open with very minor pressure - no matter what the din setting was. The scary part was that I used these fast skis for high speed groomer days! I have no idea how long the heels were loose.