Home > Trip Reports > March 2013, Trip Report- Republic of Georgia, Svane

March 2013, Trip Report- Republic of Georgia, Svane

3/15/13
Posted by radski on 4/7/13 9:50am
Nice!  What an adventure.  Wish you had some pics, here - I can't get the link to work..

You mentioned some other visitors hired security to attend them..  what's the general feel of the area in that regard?  Can you sell your used gear for a fair price on exit?

Geoland (I think the regional garmin rep) has a nice web presence, but couldn't figure out how to get their maps - maybe that was your point..

Too early for condos..?   :)

author=davidG link=topic=28219.msg118614#msg118614 date=1365442048">
I can't get the link to work..

http://theworldofbcor.blogspot.com

Generally very safe, other group had a heli so they got security for that. Otherwise most everyone is hospitable, except for some drunkenness. Obviously pre-negotiate taxi rates and destinations and housing prices, but no one will try to gouge you too bad. Not sure what the deal with selling gear would be as I only donated stuff to the local kids, but given that there is only one ski shop in Tbilisi you might have some luck with beater ski gear, though not enough westerners skiing to sell anything above $150-300 probably.
Yep, Geoland is awesome but there office is hard to find in Tbilisi if you can even get there before heading out, and shipping maps to the US is prohibitive (over $40 for a DHL package which is the only reliable service; took 3 weeks for a post card to arrive in the US and unsure about the others).
Way too early for condos. The one westerner investing independently is a norwegian who put a couple grand US into the Grand Hotel Ushba which is an awesome place if you're in Becho.

Excited to be heading back in March & April. Feel free to PM if interested in joining. They're opening another couple resorts with French and Austrian aid and always more to explore on the touring front.

Reply to this TR

march-2013-trip-report-republic-of-georgia-svane
radski
2013-04-07 16:50:43