Home > Trip Reports > 25 Mar 2013, Big Four north face climb/ski

25 Mar 2013, Big Four north face climb/ski

3/25/13
Posted by hedonaut on 4/4/13 12:46pm
Apologies for the late report, but traveled to the Sangre de Cristos right after this trip, and upon return beset by work.  Perhaps this rig will get back into shape this season...?

Dan Helmstadter and I encountered enjoyable climbing and a whole lot of powder on this face a bit more than a week ago:

For such a low peak, it sure provided plenty of views, climbing, relief, and skiing:

Monte Cristo area:

turns near top:

I get a bit nostalgic (already) recalling this trip...great time.

Posted more pics
Wow.!

I remember one of the first trips I did in the PNW I was in car with some guys and there where multiple conversations going on. in front  they where talking about the big four... blah blah blah. Sky,, blah blah, Jason... some other dudes..

So, for the first few months of living here I didn't know it was a mountain. , I thought Sky, Jason, and two other guys where the big four. .. I couldn't quite figure out who number three and  four where...?

Beyond nice. Just another level all together.

Nice on Eric!  Wild mission.  I like it!

A few years ago I made a bet with Jeff Rich that it wouldn't be skied for at least 10 years. I loose. Luckily we both forgot how much I owe him so I'll just have to buy him beer (which I tend to do anyway). Way to go!!

author=JimD link=topic=28177.msg118545#msg118545 date=1365280861]
A few years ago I made a bet with Jeff Rich that it wouldn't be skied for at least 10 years. I loose. Luckily we both forgot how much I owe him so I'll just have to buy him beer (which I tend to do anyway). Way to go!!

I know man.  Alan Kearney and I put up a route on the right side of the face 20 years ago.  It is mind boggling that someone could ski that face.  Dan H. is the master at defiling technical routes.

Yeah Gregg, we had hoped to ski your and Alan's line, more aesthetic, plus we'd get to razz you over a beer sometime -- ;) -- even though the conditions we choose for skiing are a far cry from those typically chosen for climbing.

JimD, I know you've climbed that beast before too, multiple times as i recall--such an inspiring face when you first lay eyes on it!  Must get back on it again sometime.

Oh, and forgot to mention that a kind soul had observed our tracks and left us a note and some gatorade on my windshield (mr otter, iirc), THANKS hombre!

Awesome line!

In one of the pics in the link it says that dan skied the ramp on the Three Fingers. Any chance there is a trip report from that to look at? I went out to scope it in january and had a terrible experience when a snowbank collapsed on me and I dislocated my shoulder miles from the car in squire creek. Would love to see any pics from his adventure out there. Thanks!

author=String link=topic=28177.msg118695#msg118695 date=1365556301">
In one of the pics in the link it says that dan skied the ramp on the Three Fingers. Any chance there is a trip report from that to look at? I went out to scope it in january and had a terrible experience when a snowbank collapsed on me and I dislocated my shoulder miles from the car in squire creek. Would love to see any pics from his adventure out there. Thanks!

On Cascade Climbers: Three Fingers - east face couloir 3/9/2013

Dan posts most of his TRs there now, usually in the *freshiezone* forum, including his version of this trip: Big Four - north face 3/25/2013

author=Amar Andalkar link=topic=28177.msg118700#msg118700 date=1365562148">
On Cascade Climbers: Three Fingers - east face couloir 3/9/2013

Dan posts most of his TRs there now, usually in the *freshiezone* forum, including his version of this trip: Big Four - north face 3/25/2013

Thank you!

edit: I'd seen his chair peak buttress tr a few years ago and knew he was a savage but god damn. Looked through all of his TR's on there. Might have to name my first born child after him.

Reply to this TR

25-mar-2013-big-four-north-face-climb-ski
hedonaut
2013-04-04 19:46:49