Home > Trip Reports > 4/3/13 Mount Baker C/D

4/3/13 Mount Baker C/D

4/3/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by snoholic on 4/4/13 9:14am
Left vehicle at 4:20 am with 3.5 miles of road skinning needed to get the the Trailhead. We strolled up Grouse creek and broke out the the clouds into blue skies just below Heliotrope. We took our sweet time enjoying every step on a gorgeous alpine day en route to the summit. The Headwall was easily bootable or skinned (both were done) Not exactly bikini weather on the summit, but it was pleasent enough. The headwall skied good, Firm up high and corny mid way and lower. We found found the full gamut of conditions (in a good way) for the rest of the descent.  Back to the van about 3:45 p.m.
It was an awesome day up there. We were the group of 3 with 2 of us on splitboards - started up about 1.5 hours behind you guys. Like that last photo with all 3 at the same time. Fletcher got some pretty good photos of the day you might want to check out on nwhikers.

Nice job Team TLT5P (+1 splitboarder.)

Cool!

Thanks for the update.

Nice meeting you guys.

We got up to headlights at 5, left the truck at 6:20
breaking above the clouds

Bram

Coleman-Demming Glacier

Jeff

Thanks for the water Jeff :)

Clicked back into my skis and headed down... skied all the way from the summit to the truck.

Mike

Didn't take any more photos till the truck. Felt like water skiing down low

Nice work guys! Looked like a full on party up there!

No judgements here, but...

U might want to take down those pics of your mug w/ the 4runner/ license place parked next to the sign and outhouse...

Looks like an awesome day! Way to take advantage..

Love the summit shot!

and the pic of the truck...

Such an awesome day to get Baked. Nice to meet all of you folks I talked to up there.

What a good time in the sun with all of you.  The snomo4runner approach rig is amazing.

I didn't see any signs saying the road was closed, but there was a decent amount of snow. I'm not sure why they would close it

A short distance after you passed us, I started to regretted not taking your kind offer to drive us down the road.  :'(

The road is groomed for snowmobiles.  They don't like tire ruts as it hastens the melting of the snow and ruins the nice smooth bed surface for their machines.  In the past I have been guilty of chaining up and running up the road.  In recent years there is usually a sign blocking the road.  You would have definitely seen it so the grooming season is probably over.

Your rig reminds me of those crazy Icelantic ballon tired rigs that drive on the Glaciers.

Great trip report and pictures.  Mt. Baker is a classic and it is good to see more traffic earlier in the season.

Added Saturday, April 6.
Just saw this report on the WA State Snow Park website.  So yea, grooming is over for the season.  It is a good question as it whether you can drive your vehicle up the road now.  Might be worth asking the FS office in Glacier Creek.  You do need a snow park permit.

"Sno-Park permits will continue to be required through April 14th at Glacier Creek.

Grooming has concluded for the 2012-2013 Season. See you next year.

2012-2013 Grooming Schedule:

Dec: 6, 11,14,17,20, and 27
Jan: 3, 8, 10, 15, 18, 22, 24,28, and 31
Feb: 5, 8, 12, 14, 19, 22, 26, and 28
March: 2, 8, 13, 19, and 28
Groomer: Industrial Mowing and Spraying"

Great write-up and photos. Thanks!

Reply to this TR

4-3-13-mount-baker-c-d
snoholic
2013-04-04 16:14:01