Home > Trip Reports > May 15, 2005, Muir Snowfield

May 15, 2005, Muir Snowfield

5/15/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by scotteryx on 5/16/05 1:13am
Why?
Left the parking lot at 830am and headed up with a group as a co-leader on a climb to Camp Muir. Drizzling at first, and then clearing up on the way to the top of pan point. Had to take the skis off several times above pan point through Pebble Creek.

Started to get real frustrated and then the hail and sideways rain hit us with high winds at 6800'. My new Mammut Castor pants were absolutely drenched in about 5 minutes. Decided to turn the group around at about 7500'. The ski down was not that bad with lots of wax, but having to take them off and on did get annoying.

So why did I go? Guess I had to feel for myself what mild hypothermia really felt like.
Softshell? Are you serious, Scott? I was in full Arc'teryx hardshell top and bottom with a Mt. Hardwear Primaloft coat underneath, and still barely made it through the day! Soaked through two pair of gloves and finished off the day in my chemical-resistant carwash handwear.

Hey Greg, I saw the photo of you dangling happily in your industrial grade rubber gloves and thought to myself, "That GregL sure is ahead of the curve when it comes to proper attire for climbing in the PNW."  I'm actually feeling inspired to go out and buy a pair for myself, just to leave them at the bottom of my ski pack for use when conditions warrant.  As they do, surprisingly often.

Softshell? Are you serious, Scott? I was in full Arc'teryx hardshell top and bottom with a Mt. Hardwear Primaloft coat underneath, and still barely made it through the day!

Yeah, softshell pants, but they are so much more industrial than you standard soft shell pants - but they got soaked nonetheless.

Hi Mark, our group wasn't the same without you! I did my best impersonation by forgetting to unclip the rope end with my pack and skis from my harness before ascending, though, giving the 6:1 pulley system (not to mention the haulers) a good workout!

Great report,

I plan to ski the Muir snow field this Saturday for the first time.  Do you recommned snowshoes and ice axe for the hike up to Muir?

fskchun

The only spot you might need an ice axe is below Panorama Point if there is ice. As far as snowshoes that's always a hard one. This time of year into summer there is often a good  bootpack, so when I have brought snowshoes I often regret it. If there has been fresh snow and you leave before the hordes they can come in handy.

Reply to this TR

may-15-2005-muir-snowfield
scotteryx
2005-05-16 08:13:32