Home > Trip Reports > March 29, 2013, Silver Star GPNF

March 29, 2013, Silver Star GPNF

3/29/13
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by james bleuer on 4/3/13 2:50am
First post, apologize for lack of good pics but lighting, time, patience were not on my side for photography. 

Tried Silver Star for the first time with a free Friday morning.  Trailhead snow free and the first 1/2 mile of the trail was snow free.  Skins on at the ridge.  Skied a North-Northwest line down by Pyramid Rock - apparently this connects back to the Tarbell trail which would bring you back to the Grouse Vista trailhead?  Snow got thinner going down, and after a minor head-hand-knee vs rock incident felt it would be better to get out the way I came in, so only got in one lap before going to meet friends in time for a weekend of fishing the Deschutes. 

The snow was awesome despite being thin, bit of an obstacle course.  I was the only one up there, until on the way down I saw a few groups hiking in sneakers and shorts trying to summit.  Next year I will monitor conditions more closely and plan to hit this one again, a bit earlier. 

On that note, I'm Portland based and always open to partners on weekends, especially since my normal partner has decided Monday to Friday just isn't enough time to get his work done.  27 yr old relatively fit male, not overly experienced in the backcountry but have been at it a couple years. 

Reply to this TR

march-29-2013-silver-star-gpnf
james bleuer
2013-04-03 09:50:07