Home > Trip Reports > April 1, 2013, Lennox Mountain

April 1, 2013, Lennox Mountain

4/1/13
Posted by Troy on 4/2/13 10:19am
Great trip to Lennox Mountain.

If you decide to do this trip, watch out for trees and undercut rocks in Money Creek which could easily trap you underwater.  Crossing this stream can be one of the major hazards of the trip if you don't pick a good spot.  I did not choose wisely and just barely made it without swimming.  Despite the water challenges, I had such a good time that I plan to return with neoprene booties or hip waders to keep my ski boots dry.

I happened to meet Kenji where I parked which was fun.  He gave me some tips to avoid brush.  Kenji, thanks so much for your trip reports which became my inspiration.

I'm working on dialing in my overnight ski setup so I made this a 2 day trip, getting to the summit on April 1st.  I camped at the outlet of Crystal Lake the night before.  The route finding for this trip was much more challenging than I expected.  Getting to Goat Basin involved choosing between big slide paths to the left, waterfall in the center, and cliff bands to the right.  I was impressed to read afterwords about the trip before me and their route to the left of Goat Basin.

Falling asleep to the not so soothing sounds of rock and snow fall coming off the Goat Basin cliffs gave me motivation to steer well clear of the low angle terrain directly uphill.  The next day, April 1st, was great weather.  Amazing views.  The route I picked out to climber's right of Goat Basin was challenging to me for a couple hundred feet, weaving between the big cliff to left and cliff bands to the right.  Afterwords, easy climb to the ridge near Coney Lake then up to the summit.

So much fun skiing in the area, I might take 3 days next time and ski a bunch of the inviting lines.

Many more pictures here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111955726492601080503/Lennox_20130401?authkey=Gv1sRgCNi73tT65vLf6wE#
Hi Troy,

Glad you are back safe and had a great time up there.  I guess crossing the creek can be difficult, we've crossed earlier in a wider section where it was shallower, but then the other side was brushier.  It's a great option to camp up there and explore the upper neighborhood.  Thanks for "skipacking" inspiration!

Nice TR.  Four of us just did this ski two weekends ago, but from the south and had excellent power conditions.  It is nice to see your trip report  The mostly melted tracks in your photos at the top are probably our are ski tracks.  I have attached a few photos from our trip a few weeks ago to share.

Thansk!

Animal

Fun mountain! We were curious to find out who left the tracks on the Miller side, mystery solved. We found the climber left and up the avi chute to be a straightforward route (in safe conditions). From the bench we hit above goat basin there were a few shenanigans to gain access to upper mountain. We then cruised up the Western peak  (The one you see from Hwy2, I think?) Next, we made a few turns and a traverse and a short climb to gain the ridge to the true summit.  About a 6hr trip from car to car.  P.S. There is a tasty can of unopened IPA somewhere on that route.

Reply to this TR

april-1-2013-lennox-mountain
Troy
2013-04-02 17:19:35