Home > Trip Reports > April 1, 2013, Mt St Helens Circumnavigation

April 1, 2013, Mt St Helens Circumnavigation

4/1/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Telepathetic on 4/1/13 1:35pm
James Hamaker and myself just completed a circumnavigation of Mt. St. Helens (March 29-April 1st) 2013.  36 miles, 7,000 ft elevation gain, ideal conditions.  Great snow except for north side, which is pretty much melted out and walking is best route (or climb into the crater).  Fun, safe trip-just watch out for those wonderful snowmachines....
cheers
David
ps here's a pictorial of the event.
http://prezi.com/sylpvq90qkca/circumnavigation-of-mt-st-helens/?kw=view-sylpvq90qkca&rc=ref-35551087
Neat trip and slick photo presentation. 

Your pack looks heavy!

Cool trip, thanks for sharing!  Was the size of your pack proportional to the amount of whiskey you brought? 

Thoughts:

Fishscales rule.  I only skinned up once (to climb out of the Toutle R. drainage.)
Despite the awful look of the N side (See the volcano cam on TAY in Weather Links) I had my skis on more often than not.

Key to this whole thing is finding the best route down into and out of the S fork Toutle R. and being able to skate/ double pole/ glide the entire E and SE sides when the snow is hard.

We must give credit to the sleds for packing the roads on the S side.

We saved weight by not bringing a tent.  I brought an 8oz. sil-tarp for modified ranger trenches and David brought something like a BD Mega Light(tm) but w/ five sides.

We used very little fuel.  Calm wind and warm nights.  First night camped over a creek.

Having taken a look at the whole thing, I'm now plotting a single cambered trip around the mountain.

Corn!  By the end of the trip everything exposed to sun had nicely corned up. 

Conditions were so nice I wandered over to Mt. Hood Monday w/ my tele skis and skied the White Salmon (first cracks starting to show) and Zig Zag Glaciers, then down to Gov't Camp.  NOW is the time for volcano skiing.  Get to it!

Great job guys
Glad to see everything worked out so well

Cool trip, that has been high on my list of to-do's for a while. Thanks for the info.

Outstanding prezi - thanks.

Reply to this TR

april-1-2013-mt-st-helens-circumnavigation
Telepathetic
2013-04-01 20:35:41