Home > Trip Reports > March 31, 2013, Mt. St Helens, easter corn

March 31, 2013, Mt. St Helens, easter corn

3/31/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ND on 4/1/13 3:14am
Some of my climbing friends decided they wanted to try touring, but just going up a thousand feet isn't ambitious enough.  No better way to learn to tour then practicing for 5,550 feet!  Keen ta Give'r! 

We camped out in the lot overnight to give it a good alpine start, account for learning curve, and hopefully avoid the afternoon glop.  Aside from some rental equipment malfunctions the early part of the trail went great.  Once out on actual pitches the firm snow proved difficult for first timers to learn kick turns on (not surprisingly).  Even after the sun had been out for a bit the snow was still decently firm, I was very happy I brought my ski crampons.  At around 6k the first time tourers decided they were struggling too much and just decided to boot it.  Quite a few other groups were doing the same.  Saw someone para-skiing off the summit on the way up, god that looked like fun.

Everybody made it up to the top, had a relaxed lunch and took in a great view.  We took a run down riders left of the main climbing route and found fast, edgeable corn with minimal tracks.  I was able to open it up and do some great old arm dragging euro carves, incredibly fun.  The bottom of the mountain became more gloppy, but there were still good turns.  I broke off from the group to keep more speed on the trail out, managed to make it to the lot with only three total pushes.  Spring wax pays off.
Were you the group with the car horns and alarms early Sunday morning ?

Yes.  I am sorry. :-[ 
Quick rant on late model subarus.  If you lock or unlock the door with your remote the horn honks.  Apparently if you lock the door with the remote and then UNLOCK IT WITH THE KEY the alarm goes off.  Seems quite stupid. 

Found this out the hard way too, but I think putting the key in the ignition after opening the door prevents the alarm.

Thumbs up on the most excellent spring day on St. Helens!  The crater rim was peaceful and serene.  Good work getting your people to the top. 

The car horns were an accident but your party wasn't exactly hunting rabbits if you get my drift. 

author=Winter link=topic=28139.msg118283#msg118283 date=1364852839]
The car horns were an accident but your party wasn't exactly hunting rabbits if you get my drift. 

Duly noted, I'm sorry if you were kept you up after the worlds rudest alarm clock. 

RANT:  Locks tied in to horns should just be outlawed.

Got that rant over with.  Glad to have missed the wake-up call.

See, the problem w/ planning trips w/ just guys is that *Easter did not even cross our minds*.  So, no Easter egg hunt in the snow, no chocolate bunnies, no Easter bonnets not even a snow-bunny to commemorate the occasion.  Sad, just sad :(

On your recommendation, I'll try skiers left next time.  One can always skate back from June Lk. if necessary.

author=jhamaker link=topic=28139.msg118364#msg118364 date=1364955868]
See, the problem w/ planning trips w/ just guys is that *Easter did not even cross our minds*.  So, no Easter egg hunt in the snow, no chocolate bunnies, no Easter bonnets not even a snow-bunny to commemorate the occasion.  Sad, just sad :(

Agreed, skied on Easter too and didn't think twice about it until mentioning the tour to a couple of folks who were somewhat appalled by the choice.

The only eggs I thought about were in the pre-ski omelette. I thought they could have used some pepper, but no dispensers on the table in the diner. Go figure?

Great photo above. Looks like a fun and well-rounded group.

I completely forgot about Easter as well, my left over pizza from Lone Fir was good, but desert of chocolate and jelly beans was even better.  Moral of the story, always invite at least one girl per trip, they always think of all types of things you won't.  I'm good at shot bloks and rainier, beyond that I'm totally worthless :)

Reply to this TR

march-31-2013-mt-st-helens-easter-corn
ND
2013-04-01 10:14:06