Home > Trip Reports > March 30, Mt. Baker Corn to Powder bounty.

March 30, Mt. Baker Corn to Powder bounty.

3/30/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Gregg_C on 3/31/13 2:14pm
Have skied Baker several times a year since 2001 and this was easily the best ski conditions of all of my ascents.  Great weather to match my companions and stellar glisse  made for a memorable day in the mountains.  We live in a beautiful place and yesterday's magic was a good reminder of the gifts that are a short trip away for most of us.

The three of us made short work of the 4 mile road approach with my sled.  Six hours up to the summit from the outhouse had us descending the Roman Wall in ideal corned up conditions.

Mike exiting Grouse Creek

Crossing the huge serac fall off of Colfax Peak

Taking a hard right at the Roman Wall to skin across the face and arrive on the summit ahead of all the booters.

Uber Mountain Girl Jenni on the summit.  Ultra marathoner and ex ski racer with a wonderful attitude.  A great ski buddy. 

Mike descends perfect corn on the Roman Wall

Followed by settled powder on the Coleman

Not wanting to waste any terrain, we passed on the long descending traverse across to Grouse Creek and skinned to the top of Heliotrope( what locals call the rod) for a straight drop into Grouse Creek.

A fantastic way to end what has been the best March in memory.  Every weekend brought forth great weather and conditions.  It doesn't make up for all those weekends when the brilliant mid week condtions went south by the weekend ...but it certainly helps.  One last picture to fuel the stoke.  Upper Coleman powder fields on a sunny weekend at the end of March. 

Way to get it, you guys!  Never gets old.

Doesn't get any better!  Nice work

Looks like a lot of fun Gregg. what a nice way to end March.

Awesome you guys!

corn AND pow, sheer gluttony, you guys nailed the conditions!  thx for the report.

Reply to this TR

march-30-mt-baker-corn-to-powder-bounty
Gregg_C
2013-03-31 21:14:06