Home > Trip Reports > May 14, 2005, The Twins (OR)

May 14, 2005, The Twins (OR)

5/14/05
Posted by JoeMack on 5/15/05 7:06pm
With possible storms forecasted, we decided to change plans and ski the Twins (just east of Waldo Lake off Hwy 58 in Oregon) instead of Diamond Peak. Skinned from the truck on soft snow. Trail up was well marked and easy to follow. The views were great and we skied some nice but short pitches from the top(s). The snow was thick and heavy and minor sloughs were set off by turns. Got lucky with the weather as it was cloudy, and cool for most of the day with no rain until the drive home.

On the way up, we met John and Sue from Eugene Mtn Rescue who were climbing up on their waxless tele skis. I was shocked when John revealed that he was 75 years old! I was inspired and humbled.
nice TR. I'm in Eugene and was wondering how to access The Twins? Is the trailhead up the Waldo Lake road? Thx.

Thanks for the report Joe.

Yes, skilarke; the trailhead for the The Twins is on the right side of the Waldo Lake road, maybe two (?) miles from the junction with Hwy 58. The trail head sign was vandalized and is lying on the side of the road about 100 yards south of the actual trailhead; that was where we parked because the road was blocked by snow further up.

thanks for the info Joe. looks like the weather will break by Saturday so I'll check it out. hoping to get up to Diamond Peak in the next weeks too.

Reply to this TR

may-14-2005-the-twins-or
JoeMack
2005-05-16 02:06:16