Home > Trip Reports > may 14-15, 2005, Pan Point and Nisqually Glacier

may 14-15, 2005, Pan Point and Nisqually Glacier

5/14/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by kam on 5/15/05 10:49am
Kam - thanks for the great pictures from the crevasse.  

I really appreciate the dedication of our excellent instructors (Ronj, Maddog, Tom, Allyson, Amar, Carter, Cinnamon, Kam, Jerry and Ed) to provide great instruction during some interesting weather.  Thanks instructor!!!

I'm looking forward to the movie!!

I think I found Jimmy Hoffa about 50 or so feet down there along with some barking crevasse spiders.  Even saw a short cut to the parking lot from down here! ;D

thanks to all the students who participated in the less than ideal conditions on sunday!  kam, you did forget to mention some of the other weather we experienced, i.e. wind, and some occasional fog/white-out conditions ;)...all and all though, i'm glad to have been able to accomplish that trip safely, and not to have had anyone really eaten by a crevasse...and i think we'd all agree to hold skip accountable for our lack of luck on weather with this year's class ;D.  

...and i think we'd all agree to hold skip accountable for our lack of luck on weather with this year's class ;D.  

With the weather being quite tolerable on Saturday, our practice refresher day, I thought for sure that Skip was lurking somewhere around Paradise proper, but Sunday we knew for sure that Skip had once again avoided the wrath of nature  ;D.  All joking aside, it was another great class with a fine bunch of people.  One thing for sure, we didn't have to worry about sunburn  8)  I'm still in the process of drying all sorts of things out.   8)

One thing for sure, we didn't have to worry about sunburn  8)  

Not true...I managed to receive quite the nasty sunburn on my hands Saturday.  ouch!

And thanks to everyone for making this happen!  Despite the wet....it rocked!  

Ultragrrl, you are so right, those overcast days can be very tricky with the filtered sunlight.  In past years GT fieldtrips, it has been clear, sunny, and so hot, hot, hot, on the glacier, that all of us have come off of there after a full day looking like boiled lobsters 8).  Those would be the "Skip" days  ;)

... barking crevasse spiders.

did the spiders scare you?  while making photos from the bottom of the hole, i heard a familiar cry, "dude, it's sketch down here...!"  ;)

;D ;D                 ;D ;D
                            ;D ;D ;D             ;D ;D ;D
                              ;D ;D                 ;D ;D

;D                                   ;D
                          ;D                                 ;D
                           ;D                              ;D
                             ;D                          ;D
                                ;D                    ;D
                                    ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

While we're on the subject of it being a bit scary going down into the crevasse, I have a "class improvement suggestion", Darryl and Ed please take note...
Just about the time that the "victim" is being lowered over the edge, it might be better if the safety belayer did NOT ask of the "victim": "If something goes wrong and you don't make it back out can I have your Beemer"?
Josh asked that of Marco as he was about to be lowered over the edge, which is scary enough without the comment.  I wish I had thought of that. ;D
Thanks, Josh, now I have a great reassuring line for the students for next year.  :)
BTW, Josh, Marco, Michael and Rick, you guys were quick studies; great to work with -- Jeanette and I both agreed.  I hope to see you all back next year as instructors to sharpen your skills further.

Ron - that's a good line.  

I heard another good line when snoslut was being lowered to the center of the earth, Tom yelled down to him that his rope team members were having some rope issues.

"If something goes wrong and you don't make it back out can I have your Beemer"?  

I actually found Josh's comment highly motivating!  My wife had been kind enough to loan me the car for the weekend, so I would simply think of the trouble I'd be in if it wasn't returned on time and suddenly I'd get this huge adrenaline rush good for several prussic cycles up the rope...  ;)

Was this your group on Sunday?

Yep.
That was us.  Thanks for the overview shot, Scott.
Where was it taken from?  Looks like maybe somewhere over by the entrance to the main Nisqually chute.  Nice shot.

Yep.
That was us.  Thanks for the overview shot, Scott.
Where was it taken from?  Looks like maybe somewhere over by the entrance to the main Nisqually chute.  Nice shot.

It was taken from below Pebble Creek as we were heading up to Muir but turned around at 7K or so by freezing rain and soaked clothing.

Cool picture, Scott. I'm third from the right, the one who's shivering.

Cool picture, Scott. I'm third from the right, the one who's shivering.

2 other shots (Same photo, photoshop'd)

http://questalb.com/gallery/images/panoramapoint051505/695L.jpg

http://questalb.com/gallery/images/panoramapoint051505/695s.jpg

Scott: that is a nice photo.  what a cool perspective. thanks for sharing.

Reply to this TR

may-14-15-2005-pan-point-and-nisqually-glacier
kam
2005-05-15 17:49:49