Home > Forum > risks of current warming

risks of current warming

• RonL
  • [RonL]
More
29 Mar 2013 16:59 #118165 by RonL
risks of current warming was created by RonL
In past seasons I have tried to pay attention to these first warming days in spring closely. Is there a consensus on the risks this weekend? It looks warm up there today and tomorrow is slight lower but still plenty warm and heating up again Sunday. Any deep layers that could become a problem again?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
29 Mar 2013 17:27 #118166 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: risks of current warming
I doubt you'll find any consensus. This warmup isn't as sharp as sometimes happens, but it's going to get rather warm and quite sunny. If you want to get snow moving, I imagine it'd be easy to do; NWAC's vote of Considerable on sunny aspects makes sense - natural slides possible, triggered slides likely. Stuff above the NWAC cutoff of 7k may be more reactive; it'll be the first time the freezing level's gone that high since the dumps of March. Mid-afternoon might be a fun time to watch the show from Glacier Vista, for example.

NWAC thinks this, re: deep slabs: "Generally well bonded and strong layers should also be seen in the mid and lower snowpack below the mid-March crust."

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
29 Mar 2013 18:18 #118169 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: risks of current warming
Thanks for the thoughts guys. We are going into the Olympics this weekend and I've been inspecting the data and forecasts. We'll be traversing some S-facing aspects....at the right times of day.

• RonL
  • [RonL]
More
29 Mar 2013 18:43 #118170 by RonL
Replied by RonL on topic Re: risks of current warming
Good input, I would agree that zone around 7k and above could be touchy. I recall some more dramatic warming cyles in seasons past when Alta and others went pretty big at the pass. Perhaps those layers before the March storm still have some potential to move.

Hope you have a great trip Mack!

• Chuck C
  • [Chuck Cerveny]
More
29 Mar 2013 20:02 #118175 by Chuck C
Replied by Chuck C on topic Re: risks of current warming
We couldn't get anything to move today even though we hit some steep sunbaked slopes midafternoon. Just yielded nice turns. Not even any sluffing. Snow was pretty solid everywhere.