Home > Trip Reports > May 14, 2005, Dragontail

May 14, 2005, Dragontail

5/14/05
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Paul_Russell on 5/14/05 7:53pm
Decided to head East with the wet weather forecast, and left Seattle at 5:30 with Monika and Muggs in a steady rain most the way to Levenworth.  Our hopes rose however with some clearing and high clouds by the time we reached the TH in what turned out to be a fine day with frequent sun breaks.  Left the TH at about 8:30.

We found Colchuck Lake to be nearly melted out, although there was enough snow from both Colchuck Col and Assgard Pass to ski down to the Lake.  We decided to go up Assgard with the intent of summiting Dragontail and then ski down from Cochuck Col.  The coverage on Assgard looked a bit sketchy from the Lake, but actually turned out to be fine.  But there definitely appeared to be better coverage from the Col.  We found mushy snow with a firm base on the way up.  The top snow layer was sluffing on steep slopes on way to the summit saddle, but nothing deeper.  Did have a small cornice chuck break loose from above that posed some concerns.  We were able to skin to the summit by about 1:30 or 2:00.
Our attempt to circumnavigate Dragontail was thwarted when we found a wet, exposed rock scramble for the crossover.  So we backed down carefully and retraced our route.  We did have a nice ski on the S slope down from the summit for about 1000'.  The ski from the summit saddle and then down Assgard turned out to be surprising good with mushy corn snow on a firm base.  The views were awesome all day into the Enchantments and across to Colchuck and Stuart.

Skies completely cleared by the time we got back to the Lake for the hike out, and we arrived at the car at about 8:15.   Altogether a great day and ski tour in a beautiful area especially considering the weather.  Approx 6600' vf gain, 4000' ski descent.

Some photos http://community.webshots.com/album/345564111EGrYpD?46

Great photos, Paul.  It turned out I could have joined you guys, and I should have.  Just ended up pulling weeds and watching the Star Trek... We did manage to test drive a Prius.

Sorry we missed you Kenji.  You would have enjoyed it.  

Way to get after it Paul.  The photos were enjoyable to look at.  

Another weekend in what appeared to be the sweet spot given the forecast :D.  Thank you Paul and Mugs for a fun trip exploring together--  Never knew you could skin up Dragontail!   Paul, my many thanks again for all your shots.  Can I say I like the "styling" one of me with my new bibs?  Now the duct tape will match, as I did manage to put a hole in them as well as the one in my hand while we were scrambling those rocks trying to come up Colchuck Col from the back.
Mugs and I need to bring our cameras; thought it would be raining instead those "sucker holes" increasing to bring us sun breaks and cool vistas. 8)

Great report and pics! I have wondered about that trip since the days of my first Burgdorfer book in the early 80's. Skin to the top-that's my kind of run! Looked like you made the best out of a thin snowpack!
Joe

paul--nice shots!  it looks like you guys had an awesome day out there, and really lucked out with the sun.  :)

monika--we definitely missed your presence this weekend at rainier!  glad you had a good time on saturday though.  from the pics, it looks like you're using both poles which hopefully means your shoulder is feeling better?

Thanks Allyson, and I did feel your and Cinnamon's "cravasse angel" energy with me ;).  Sorry I couldn't make it for Sunday; nice work out on the Nisqually in those tough conditions.  My shoulder is doing well, but now I have this darn splint from the laceration on my other hand.  Learned today from the docs that I should have had stitches (it's too late now) but I hate going to the ER.
But on the positive side, I'm always immensely grateful when they're just superficial injuries!!

Hey Allyson - glad you like the pics. Sorry to have kept Monika from the Gl travel field trip (well, not really).  Did miss not having you along with that great fish eye camera friend, the Kam.  

Reply to this TR

may-14-2005-dragontail
Paul_Russell
2005-05-15 02:53:24