Home > Trip Reports > March 24 Overcoat-Burntboot ridge

March 24 Overcoat-Burntboot ridge

3/24/13
Posted by Jake the Brit on 3/26/13 1:50am
A big day in the North Snoqualmie area.
Hiking in the dark is cool, all the cool kids do it, and so were we. We wanted Ari along, and the price was to wait until he€™d finished the dinner out of which he could not wiggle. That put us at DIngford Creek at 11PM Saturday night, and we marched quickstep to the DutchMiller Gap TH, slept and shivered, got up , ate and marched straight up Burntboot Peak, traversing east under the peak and under the ridge towards Overcoat, spotted a line (we skiied off the rocks on the left skyline down the obvious bowl), went and skied it and caught the elusive view:
North face of the Lemahs, with the 4 peaks, Becky reports no routes, the internet reports no routes, not even a summer rock route. It€™s like a little Patagonia back there, your local Chamonix! Gonza skiing too.
Shredded it, and thanks for Victor & Ari we found the right line though the cliffs & chutes. We exited back the 8 miles and drove 30 miles down that damned awful Middle Fork road, like Florence says: Just keep following the hard lines on your head! Rocking trip we will definitely be doing an Arnie on that area.
Photo onslaught!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
North face Lemahs

also:
http://jakeevans.smugmug.com/Washington/Overcoat-Burntboot/28614717_QDh7pt

now that is awesome!

funny, we were on the other side of the creek that day...

there's at least at least one potentially skiable line on N(W). Lemah---burly and beautiful:

Interesting approach... that's a looong road hike, or could you use bikes?  Was part of it skinnable?

Decisively Outstanding!!! Lots of miles on a bum knee. Well done y'all.
Looking forward to seeing the Frenchman's photos.

I wish you wrote more Jake. Great stuff!

Inside joke warning:    where's the painter's pole?

No mention of bushwhacking...I guess it did not happen, might have been sleeping and woke up just in time to take a few pictures.  As Jake warned...attention danger offensive photographique

Et pour le plaisir...And it is just in our backyard  :)

Excellent, now we've got the onslaught out of the way, the conjecture..................................................:
I think that: we walk to GOldmeyer (4 Miles) and skinned from there (3 miles to DMGTH)
One could bicycle to Goldmeyer if you're good on a bike in snow or you've got a Pugsley.

I did skin to GOldmeyer 6 weeks ago, the coverage is almost continuous but it seems easier to hoof it as folks do bootpack to the springs all the time.

I don't know how you got to the Lemahs & back in a day Mr Fluffy Cloud, unless you floated??? Epic energy required I think to use to PCT not the DMGTH. Your line is IN S A N E, but then you're a cloud so all bets are off. Brilliant,

...and John the painters pole has a telescoping issue, it doesn't shrink in the cold, and along with the orthopedic brace, and the dictionary, it was 6' too much to carry. Ha there we go, William BUrroughses are loose on the WABCSKI site. aghhhhhhh

Full set of pictures at https://picasaweb.google.com/104952785231857279993/BurntbootOvercoat.

PS: Before the smiles, the joy and the views, there were doubts and other words used...

Sickness. I am most certainly inspired to get in and check out this area now!

Stellar location!

Nice work euro-gang. Both sides of lemah look pretty damn scary!

Une hirondelle ne fait pas le printemps, mais une belle descente au soleil dans la bonne poudreuse! Chapeau, les gars, chapeau.

Well done gentlemen! A fantastic birthday ski for Ari. Beautiful area we have in our back yard eh? Glad you made it happen!

Wow, Truly amazing country.  Nice and inspiring work.  I hope to follow your track someday.

Reply to this TR

march-24-overcoat-burntboot-ridge
Jake the Brit
2013-03-26 08:50:56