Home > Trip Reports > March 24, 2013, Tatoosh

March 24, 2013, Tatoosh

3/24/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by johndonee on 3/25/13 7:27am
Oh man I was jonesing so bad to get a taste of that amazing powder that arrived last week (non-skiers have no concept of the agony and are even more confused when you are excited about cold temps in the city that were preserving the goodness). Finally Sunday arrived and I headed out with Kevin (TAY BrewSki) and Mike (aka The Muffin Man, TAY Mike B). We decided to head out to the Tatoosh to take advantage of predominately North facing slopes. As others have reported, snow that had been sun exposed the days prior was barely skiable so that ruled out the Southern aspects entirely. They could have been done later in the day after the sun had softened back up but that would have been silly given the pristine condition of North facing slopes. Nary a whoomph, crack, or slide the entire day.

We started by skinning up to 6370' to the top of a Northwest aspect of the peak  that sits between The Castle and Unicorn Peak (not sure of its name). Here is a view of it from The Castle:

Unicorn Peak is visible to the Southeast from The Castle and is distinguishable by its shape and a large chimney:

We took the long way to this peak by going to The Castle first but oh well. We met Jason and Meredith when we got there - they were snow camping and had some moonlight runs the night before. Jealous!! On first descent, I found some treacherous large icy patches the wind had created on skiers right. We stopped at the bottom of that face and skinned up for a second run, this time staying to the middle and skiers left. Phenomenal!

This time we skied a fun chute and rolling pitches down to the valley floor. This was the kind of day you wish would never end - I was definitely getting the fix I had been looking for! Here's Kevin gettin' some:

We then skinned back up to the Castle and skied a Northeast aspect. This was even more pristine with no hint of icy death traps:

This face sits above some ~20-30' cliffs so you have to be careful to go to the left or right. We went right and descended a chute that is pretty steep and narrow at the top. More fun rolling terrain, and all the way down to the bottom. I think we were all wishing we had brought provisions to stay the night and partake in some moonlight skiing ourselves but alas we had to call it a day and start the mile or so glide back to the car and the 3 hour trek home.

Going to let this image burn in my head 'til Winter returns:

We started by skinning up to 6370' to the top of a Northwest aspect of the peak  that sits between The Castle and Unicorn Peak (not sure of its name). Here is a view of it from The Castle:

Foss peak .It seems you crossed all you T's and dotted all your I's.  That's a nice tour.

Saturday also did not suck:

The rest of the story: https://plus.google.com/photos/118025853069449417238/albums/5859060187491022385?banner=pwa

Great snow on your tour.  ;)

Looks like a great tour with awsome conditions! I have been wanting to get over to the Tatoosh for a while now. Where do you start skinning from to get over there, Narada Falls? Also, my wife is new to skinning, she has only been out a few times on pretty mellow terrain. Are there any easier routes over there that she would be able to handle? Thanks for any info in advance! 

Saturday was acceptable

I concur good conditions on saturday, were going to stay the night but bailed due to potential for suncrust.

may have spoken to a few of ya, I was sporting some hojis

author=epicpow link=topic=28060.msg118046#msg118046 date=1364320463]
Looks like a great tour with awsome conditions! I have been wanting to get over to the Tatoosh for a while now. Where do you start skinning from to get over there, Narada Falls? Also, my wife is new to skinning, she has only been out a few times on pretty mellow terrain. Are there any easier routes over there that she would be able to handle? Thanks for any info in advance!   

Yep Narada Falls. Lots of parking there and a "comfort station" with a heated room and restrooms. From the parking lot you skin up and over to the Reflection Lakes. There's mellow terrain to be found in that area down lower so you could go up as far as you are comfortable with. You could also check out Mazama ridge, which is accessed out of Paradise; It's more mellow but will still get you into some nice terrain. Do you live down south? If the Snoqualmie Summit is an option a couple mellow tours you could look at are Kendall Stump/Lakes (Kendall Peak is more advanced) and Mt. Catherine.

author=janitha_j link=topic=28060.msg118048#msg118048 date=1364321145]
Saturday was acceptable

Yeah, I'd be alright with that...

Went up yesterday looking for sheltered snow. It's all pretty evenly turned to mush, even north-facing. Fun terrain back there, however.

Spring has sprung

Reply to this TR

march-24-2013-tatoosh
johndonee
2013-03-25 14:27:50