Home > Trip Reports > May 13, Tline morning patrol, Mt Hood

May 13, Tline morning patrol, Mt Hood

5/15/05
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Jeff Huber on 5/13/05 2:28am
Well this was suppose to be a "dawn patrol" but since I showed up 30 minutes late (w/ a very good excuse that is beyond the scope of this TR), we decided this trip was more a "morning patrol". Andy and I got to Tline a bit after 8, with no clear objective except getting some turns and making it back to work in the afternoon. We succeeded. On along with copious parties of Mazamas (someone told us there were 24 -- I don't doubt it). We pulled skins and traversed to the highest skiable point on our side of CR. We descend the frozen slope, trying not to ski above the descending Mazamas. As we neared CR's base we traversed west then then the vast majority of the South side. The snow remained silky and many dreamy turns ensued. We skied to about 7500', then traversed east to Zigzag canyon and installed skins to climb above the canyon entrance and back to the Palmer. We ascended a few extra vertical feet then necessary so we could get my altimeter to read an even 5000' of ascent. We skied back down the ski area, the snow was heavy and sticky--not anywhere near the quality we found on the Zigzag.

Our total trip time was 3:48. I've stopped at the Starbucks in Sandy to work, as they've finally installed Tmobile WiFi here (it requires a Tmobile hotspot acct to use).

Andy about to make turns off upper Crater Rock w/ Jefferson in the background:

I had to edit this post to clarify the directions as to where we skied below Illuminaton Rock. To make it more clear, here's a map:
Nice trip and pictures, Jeff.  That was a good work out.  By the looks of the weather today and the forecast for tomorrow getting out Thursday and Friday was a good call.

Jeff,
Great trip.  5000 vertical in less than 4 hours makes me tired and envious.  :) Zap

Good way to make the most of the one mountain around!  ;)

Reply to this TR

may-13-tline-morning-patrol-mt-hood
Jeff Huber
2005-05-13 09:28:05