Home > Trip Reports > March 24, 2013, Snoqualmie Pass

March 24, 2013, Snoqualmie Pass

3/24/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 3/24/13 1:34pm
Long day. Traveled on all aspects, pass level to 6.2k, visited 5 named drainages and took a few steps into a sixth. I hope Susan posts the gps track. Tired.

There's still pow to be had in deep shade. Various crusts everywhere else. Unexpectedly breezy atop Snoqualmie early in the day. Instability mostly limited to wet activity, though one party reported reactive  windslabs on high north ridgetops. What a weekend!

Susan did all the hard work, especially at the end of the day, breaking the last 12-1500' up out of Denny Creek.
Were you the group ahead of us that skied down towards the MFK to ~2900' and back out Thunder Creek?  If so, thanks for the track out!

That was my group of three.  Glad someone else could make use of our skin track.  The middlefork descent is pretty awesome, but that climb out seems like it never ends. Kevin

author=khyak link=topic=28046.msg117987#msg117987 date=1364242013]
That was my group of three.  Glad someone else could make use of our skin track.  The middlefork descent is pretty awesome, but that climb out seems like it never ends. Kevin

Did you all hit the north slopes east of Crooked or something else?
Thanks,
John

Also, if this is of you (group of two dropping from Chair Peak Lake at ~2:50 pm) - give a yell via email/PM; I've got more photos.

author=John Morrow link=topic=28046.msg117988#msg117988 date=1364242244]
Did you all hit the north slopes east of Crooked or something else?
Thanks,
John

Disregard!  I see the pics, thanks Charlie

author=khyak link=topic=28046.msg117987#msg117987 date=1364242013]

Thanks!  Definitely a long slog out, but made much easier by your track.

GPS track plus a few pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/susanashlock/sets/72157633089521725/

Our schedule was something like:
7:30 a.m. - leave car
10 a.m. - kinda spooked by entrance to Crooked, head towards Slot
11 a.m. - base of Slot
2 p.m. - Snow Lake
4 p.m. - Melakwa Lake
6 p.m. - top of Pineapple Pass
6:45 p.m. - back at car

National Geographic TOPO! says 9000' of gain / loss and 15 miles for the loop.  (I expected a bit less, so I'm not sure how accurate that is).

We didn't see anyone after Melakwa Pass, which was neat, especially after seeing the parade of folks in the Slot area earlier. 

A really nice day -- it felt great to get some good exercise, and I was stoked that we didn't ski down the crust-tastic Phantom!

Cool trip. Thanks for all the detailed information and the great photos. They make me really wish I were out skiing instead of sitting in front of this computer!

Charlie and Susan are a great team. Plus Susan is a great photographer. ;)

nice one you two!

author=Susan Ashlock link=topic=28046.msg118032#msg118032 date=1364275735]
10 a.m. - kinda spooked by entrance to Crooked

so were we on our line, even got semi-scientific about it: yep, big chunks of slabs before a steep rollover sealed our retreat -

glorious snow tho on Saturday...

deep, fluffy, stable fun!

Wow! That's an amazing amount of terrain to cover. And great pics too! Would love to hang into your coat-tails on another trip like this. Sounds like you made an excellent decision at The Crooked, and Cumulous, great pic of your "scientific experiment"!

Reply to this TR

march-24-2013-snoqualmie-pass
Charlie Hagedorn
2013-03-24 20:34:13