Home > Trip Reports > 3-8-13 Argonaut OMA

3-8-13 Argonaut OMA

3/8/13
Posted by alecapone on 3/20/13 1:54am

Kinda late, but I had some company from out of town for the past couple weeks. 

A couple days ago I had a perfect day riding, and ending to the winter season with my nomination for road tripper of the year, Brian M. We bounced around a few semi ambitious ideas before settling on just riding some powder on the highway 2 roadside. lapping 2g of skin track gave us some time to catch up. I hadn't seen B since doing the Thunder Mac tour in December, completing my one peak hit list for the winter.  I got to complement he and Allen on their recent Stuart range trip, and tell him about my shenanigans that weekend.

I had airport duty Friday march 8th, so I got an Ellary early start in hopes of catching up with Brian and Allen for a big one day. Even though I wasn't even sure where they even where. Yeah funny. Heading up to the stuarts at 1 am to look for my friends. it had snowed since their entry, but other climbers/skiers had may their way to the junction. Unfortunately, the climbers, track, and my head lamp all gave out at the junction. I got out my spare.. horrors! it had been on in my pack, and the batteries where drained.

able to red light my way out to the first open area, I bundled up with a bunch of down and a two and a half hour jet boil session. stoked to have packed a fresh fuel can and two days worth of hot coco and via. a hot water bottle between my puffies and a clear moonless sky made for some of the best star gazing I've ever done.  amazed how time flew as the milky way faded and gentleman's dawn neared, i packed up and got moving. It quickly became obvious that no one had gone this way, so I was on my own. Hmmm, what to do? A couple weeks ago on the way up to Stuart I seen some random line coming from Argonaut that looked like it would be a nice long decent, and decided to go and check it out.

pic from stu basin.

Argonaut Chocked rock.

Sherpa view.

looking down

looking back up

lower look up

Ended up being a really fun ride. kind of steep, just a touch of exposure, and really good snow!. made it back to sea tac with plenty of time to spare. Sorry for the crappy photos.

Killer line Scott.  We eyed your tracks the next day; bummer we weren't able to meet up!  Here are a couple photos from Monday's pow harvest.  Some of those turns are still giving me chills! 

With that said I'm heading to SPB (Snoqualmie Pass Backcountry) for one last PNW pow session before heading to AK tomorrow!  ;D

Way to crush it as you always do!

Thanks kyle.

Lol foflmao B!

Huge contrast between the two days. Agreed though, I'm still floating on flying squirrel wings. Sad to see true winter go but it sure has been a good one.

Hope you have an epic ak trip. Can't wait to.see the stoke!

Loving all the stuart range stoke! Nice line Scott. 

Reply to this TR

3-8-13-argonaut-oma
alecapone
2013-03-20 08:54:29