Home > Trip Reports > March 4-8, 2013, Big Cottonwood Canyon, Utah

March 4-8, 2013, Big Cottonwood Canyon, Utah

3/4/13
US elsewhere
Posted by trees4me on 3/14/13 9:41am
We haven't been doing much touring in WA this year.  Partners, work, family and weather windows have all conspired against my normal unwavering aspirations to get out on winter tours.  Solitude was chosen for a much needed week to focus on skiing. 

The wasatch received about 9-12 in. of fresh snow as we arrived.  Coupled with the strong winds throughout the week and this was 3 ft deep in places.  Spring weather prevailed for much of the week with sun and temps in the 40s at 10000 ft!  Aspect choice was critical, and NW faces was where to be.   We got out touring the side/back-country most of the days in various directions.

Here's a quick video.

There's a really cool site with all the bc for the wasatch.  Go here and type "Flanagan" to see where we went.  Kinda cool having a run named after us   8)

It looks like everyone's been tearing up the PNW lately!
Big thanks for that cool wasatch website.  I owe you a beer 

Nice, Trees.  Thanks!

1166 Google Earth pinpoints within a small defined area  ~   No being catish 'bout where you spent the day, eh..

HillsHaveEyes should like this, too.   

That site is awesome, but at first I was overwhelmed.  It's got so many areas called out that it's tough to get a general sense of where to go.  It's like having 40 named runs in commonwealth basin...  kinda crazy.  I feel like I'll never get through Rainier's book, so trying to make a to-ski list from that website is daunting!

So who's doing that for baker bc?  I want a pinpoint for each blueberry chute!

Ive skied there a little ,mostly out of Spruces. I started out with a Wasacth tour book  and a wonderful map that was, photo one side topo the other with routes laid out. It's  a huge area .
Being a ski tourist I always picked off the low hanging fruit as the avy situation is touchier there.
There might be a updated field map still. Mine is called simply "Wasatch touring map 1"
The web site you linked to is much more detailed.

So who's doing that for baker bc?

Or Snoqualomie and Stevens?

Reply to this TR

march-4-8-2013-big-cottonwood-canyon-utah
trees4me
2013-03-14 16:41:10