Home > Forum > What do you do next?

What do you do next?

• Edgesport
  • [Edgesport]
More
14 Mar 2013 12:01 #117417 by Edgesport
What do you do next? was created by Edgesport
vimeo.com/59589522 No information on the skiers situation in this video but it left me wondering what do you do next in this situation? Doesn't look like you would want to go right toward additional fractures and you wouldn't want to climb back up through the hang-fire. Do you exit down the slide path? Do you try to climb the out on the rocks to the left of the chute? Do you wait for your partners to toss you a rope (if they have one) and climb back out and go down the way you came up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2013 17:47 #117431 by chuck
Replied by chuck on topic Re: What do you do next?
That was an amazing, terrifying and well shot view of ones world falling to pieces. I don't know the rest of that line, there's no right answer, and probably many that will yield a happy outcome. I'm assuming there is no rope. If there were a rope it probably would have been used to perform a secured ski cut. Here's my shot at a solution.

Breathe, attempt to chill out and try to get your thoughts and parts back under control. The adrenalin will be pushing you to act right away and that can lead to another mistake.

Next, if your current position is moderately stable, communicate with your freaking out partners. That's why I like radios in easy reach. The last thing you want is someone dropping in to rescue you and sweeping you out. Give them status and describe your next steps.

Get out from under all the chunks hanging above. Try to anchor the second whippet or upside-down pole in front and gently move forward onto the bed surface. It might have to be a dynamic move but you need to get out from under that shit on top of you while not getting swept.

If it didn't already go and you think you can safely do it, knock the remaining hang fire out from your descent route. Climb up under the rock, anchor and get some legit pole whacking in.

From there you can make the call on getting out. If the bed surface is skiable you have the relatively safe option to ski it down. You also may have the option to boot pack it back to the top.

I'd tend toward riding the bed surface. I used to be an east coast rider and am comfortable on firm conditions. I hate taking my board off on a steep line and boot packing unless its absolutely necessary. That transition and attempting to get a good boot in is way scarier than a technical descent on hardpack.

Before you make the escape your team has to be in agreement or at least informed of your plan. Moving off without that bit of coordination makes the rest of the day challenging.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Mar 2013 18:48 #117434 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: What do you do next?
1. Clean poop outta pants.
2. Have a cigarette.
3. Ski bed surface sticking closely to fall line.
4. Drive home and stop at gas station and buy a lottery ticket.

• blackdog102395
  • [blackdog102395]
More
14 Mar 2013 19:09 #117437 by blackdog102395
Replied by blackdog102395 on topic Re: What do you do next?
I'm not a big fan of the POV angle that Go Pros and the like produce, but they certainly have given us some insane avy footage. That's a mesmerizing 44 seconds.

More
14 Mar 2013 22:18 #117448 by Koda
Replied by Koda on topic Re: What do you do next?
I don't think there is a definite answer but skiing the bed down seems the best option. However this video highlights having a plan with your group. It would be tempting for someone to want to ski down to you. Even if they did not, they might not be able to see or hear you and if you take off down the bed surface and they are committed to not disturbing the hang-fire how do you hook up with your group in terrain proven to slide when your now in the runout zone?

• Kneel Turner
  • [Kneel Turner]
More
14 Mar 2013 23:40 #117450 by Kneel Turner
Replied by Kneel Turner on topic Re: What do you do next?
Looks like his partner is standing at the top within view, so:

1. Communicate
2. Ski the bed surface
3. Don't complain if the bed surface doesn't ski well.

• tele.skier
  • [tele.skier]
More
15 Mar 2013 04:36 #117451 by tele.skier
Replied by tele.skier on topic Re: What do you do next?
The first thing you do is you OWN IT.... You F***ed up big time.....

• ski2fly
  • [ski2fly]
More
15 Mar 2013 16:16 #117462 by ski2fly
Replied by ski2fly on topic Re: What do you do next?
I would move right imediately. Looks like bed surface there with no hangfire right below the rock. Also, probably no need to go back up but you could, looks like that hangfire ends right at the rock, so you could climb above it. Then what everyone else is saying, especially the part about the lottery ticket.

• bwalt822
  • [bwalt822]
More
18 Mar 2013 08:31 #117564 by bwalt822
Replied by bwalt822 on topic Re: What do you do next?
Getting off that pile of snow would be priority 1 for me. Sitting tight for a minute might let the snow he is sitting on bond back to the bed surface making it safer to get off his magic carpet there. If communication is possible no one should ski down in case they sent snow down which could start the thing moving again.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
18 Mar 2013 13:15 #117593 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: What do you do next?
Looks like he flushed the little chute almost entirely; reclimbing it would be feasible. From the TR, looks like the bed surface skied ok, so it probably would've booted ok.

The hangfire to skier's right of the rib where he stopped would've given me pause, I think. Looking at the other photo of the skiers' right crown, it looks pretty tiny though. It all depends ...