Home > Trip Reports > Mar 9, 2013, The Triad, Kumquat + NW face attempt

Mar 9, 2013, The Triad, Kumquat + NW face attempt

3/9/13
Posted by hedonaut on 3/13/13 2:03pm
Like many of you, took advantage of the sunny Saturday to ski salivatory sickness.  Details here:  http://skisickness.com/post/vt445-09mar2013-triad-kumquat-couloir-plus-nw-face-attempt

A couple pics:
Climb:

Ski:
Face:

Couloir:

Much fun--many would enjoy this, if there were only a tram to El Dorado.
WOW ! Great trip and photos.  ;)

Fantastic -- that's some exposure... wonga.  Thanks for posting it!

Awesome.

Regarding your approach, can't you cross the 6700ft notch to west of the Triad? From there it's easy to scoot around to the top of Kumquat. (Maybe you were trying to stay off of south slopes?).

Awesome work! One day I will ride that line.

Thanks for the report! Very inspirational to say the least!

Awesome! Glad to see some steeps starting to go down.

looks grand!  was wondering where you may be given last Saturday's window

from a couple yrs ago...  we got there a little too late

beautiful area!

yeah Phil, I think that's the way to go if sun-warmed slopes are not a concern.  For us it was partly that, and partly my lack of certainty--what looks good on paper (map) doesn't always work...so we went with the way i knew, albeit a bit spooky.

Thanks all for stoke-sharing...Kyle, you would definitely enjoy that area.  You and Jason should enchain it with the Isolation or some other maniacal traverse ;)...

Wow cumulus, that looks rugged...what time of year did you take that?  As I recall (caveat: poor memory), Sky, Phil and crew bagged it as late as June.

author=hedonaut link=topic=27909.msg117418#msg117418 date=1363291388]
As I recall (caveat: poor memory), Sky, Phil and crew bagged it as late as June.

Great pics Hedo. Yeah, I'd like to know when Cumulus took that shot too. Sky, Marq and I skied it on July 12 of 2008. In really good conditions no less.

The best area in the world in my opinion!

How were the roads??

July 2, 2011, is when that shot was taken--and the 2010-11 season had good snow coverage.

I imagine when the sun goes high enough to hit the face with temps. to match it melts out quite fast.  I'm sure we came across the previous reports and figured it'd still be good.  2008 must have been a banner year!  Or colder/cloudier...

We looked down Marble too and it had quite the stream tumbling beneath the remnant snow.  Doable maybe but not worth potentially breaking through...

author=hedonaut link=topic=27909.msg117418#msg117418 date=1363291388]
yeah Phil, I think that's the way to go if sun-warmed slopes are not a concern.  For us it was partly that, and partly my lack of certainty--what looks good on paper (map) doesn't always work...so we went with the way i knew, albeit a bit spooky.

I actually don't know for sure that it goes, but it looks good in photos from the north side, and the south side is fairly easy travel - but there might be a cliff on the south side of the col.

Your approach over that sub-peak looked burly!

wow, beautiful! nice work fellas!

Awesome. That area is so so sweet!

Reply to this TR

mar-9-2013-the-triad-kumquat-nw-face-attempt
hedonaut
2013-03-13 21:03:20