Home > Trip Reports > March 10, 2013- Alaska Mountain

March 10, 2013- Alaska Mountain

3/10/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by ian_delaney on 3/11/13 10:44am
Last Sunday my friend Mike and I skied the South Face of Alaska Mountain. We started up Commonwealth Basin and skied Kendall Chutes. Following an inopportune glove-dropping incident in the chutes, we traversed and climbed icy snow and avalanche debris (loads of fun) to the ridge above the west side of Alaska Lake. Turns down to the lake were SOFT and pretty exceptional.

After a prolonged snack at the lake we found our way to the top of Alaska. Although still fairly early and tempted by thoughts of exploring other terrain in the area, we decided to cut the trip a little short and ski the south face due to poor visibility and impending weather. The face itself was mostly avalanche debris or avalanche scoured, however, we found some phenomenal corn skiing on skier's right, which was amazing given the poor visibility.

All said and done we skied a minimal amount of €œnot good€ snow. We decide to ski out Gold Creek. Although minimal shenanigans were involved, I think that a return up Silver Creek back to Commonwealth Basin could have been wiser. The trip was followed by taco night at Webb€™s.

Amazing area that I am sure to return to!
Nice work guys, sorry I missed it!

We met you guys at the Gold creek trailhead. Thanks for giving my friend a ride back to our car at Alpental! As to hiking back up silver, I think you made a safe call, further up valley we saw and heard evidence of some recent and large wet slides. Gold creek kind of sucks, but in those conditions it was way safer than being up high.

Also, to whatever massive group put the ridiculous skin track the entire way up gold creek to Chickamin peak - I think we owe you a few beers. You're slog reduced what would have been a horrible side-hilling trail breaking bail into a less horrible mindless slog out. Thanks! Where were you going? we saw your track up towards the shoulder above glacier lake and didn't see any return tracks so we assumed you were doing a traverse.

Ian, those pictures do not make me green with envy, but I'll take your word for it, that the skiing was good!  And given your skill, your idea of good might not be the same for me!

I have been in the doldrums, not getting out for anything too interesting.

One must go to far off places when in search of the ultimate trap crust.

Reply to this TR

march-10-2013-alaska-mountain
ian_delaney
2013-03-11 17:44:43